Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a Goat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I would never base mounting any animal on score alone. I had a 68'' antelope mounted last year because he is probably the only buck antelope I will ever kill on that ranch and I wanted something on my wall to remember that ranch and the owner that was about to pass. If you want to get something mounted get it done regardless of size.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with others that there is no minimum std for a "trophy". It depends on the experiences associated with the hunt or some unique character of the animal or many other reasons to want it mounted. For those animals that you are undecided about whether to mount, I think it helps to go ahead and cape it out. Wait a few days or weeks and then decide whether you want it mounted. There's a lot of mounted heads that do not score high, but they look great and are trophies to the owner.

There wouldn't be many taxidermists in business if not for all the other reasons to mount an animal other than its "score".
    Last edited by jims; 06-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jims For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post

Ps. If I were to respond with only reading the topic header. answer woulda been with Velcro gloves.
    Hahahaha!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm with the rest of them. If its something you want to mount and remember the hunt with then do it. Size isnt the thing that makes it a trophy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to marcusvdk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    I am having mine done, I've never scored it but I believe it to be mid to higher 60's. I waited 15 years for the tag, hunted pretty hard for 7 days and spent most of those day with my 15 year old daughter by my side. I don't know how long it will be, or even if I will antelope again. It's going on the wall!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    The "score" is an after thought for me. Doesn't really play a part in wether it gets mounted or not. Of the trophies I've had mounted, I didn't know the score of any of them until the taxidermist rough scored them for me as they were being worked on. I rarely have an idea on score while I'm trying for an animal. It's either big, or big enough...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    What an animal scores has become so overrated these days. I think score can be useful when understanding potential for an area, because asking if there are a lot of 6 point bulls does not really tell you much. Hunting magazines and articles that promote score have taken a lot of the joy out of the hunt, since the number now represents the prize.

Also a lot of animals have great eye appeal, but score poorly. In antlered game, like deer and elk, mass plays very little into score yet is one of the most appealing features. I have a bull that is 30 points larger than another bull yet almost everyone thinks the "smaller" bull scores the most.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts
    I have a 72 inch antelope on the wall. It was my first bow kill so it was mounted. It's all about the meaning and the story of the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nvarcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 7 Posts
    Yep, this is definitely a question where the answer is that size doesn't matter!!! Whatever lights your fire or floats your boat, as they say!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Though I am one that always likes to know the score (after the fact) I have never shot or passed an animal based on score. I had my first and only antelope mounted and he scored in the mid 60's. It was my dad's first out of state trip. My daughter wasn't even a year old yet so it was the first time either of us had left her for more than a day (this caused us to rush the trip a bit). The whole package made it a trophy for me. Oh yeah I almost forgot, Dad said he would pay for it too!!!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjsmallfield For This Useful Post: