Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I asked our bio for the location of all the dept owned tanks/guzzlers. When he said he didn't give that info out, I asked him if I should send the public info request to his boss in town or his boss's boss at the state HQ.
    Most dept employees share tons of info with each other, and have no problem keeping everybody else in the dark. AZ puts that info on their HabiMap. Never hunted over water in OR or AZ yet but I want to know where it is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    i have hunted Colorado my whole life and never heard of a hunt planner for the division of wildlife or the new parks and wildlife. Where did you hear about this?
    Here's the page - it is actually the home page - look at the orange box in the upper right corner http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Here's the page - it is actually the home page - look at the orange box in the upper right corner http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx
    I'll be damned, what will they think of next. What a way to have our money spent! Whats next, will they start running a shuttle bus to the trailheads?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everybody for your responses. Something new to me so I truly appreciate it. I just sent him an email, then will call after I see how that goes. My plan for is pretty basic for this UT muzzleloader bull hunt: 1.) scout out some roads, advantage points, camp sites, etc... 2.) Get the boots on the ground and find all signs of elk in as many places as possible. Definitely will be able to make 2 trips, possibly 4 before my NV tag starts. I will be able to set up camp 2 or 3 days prior to my UT hunt for a little last second scouting. Hopefully I will be able to tie one to a tree.

Thanks again, Thomas

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had good experiences and bad ones with bio/wardens. It seems as you go up the chain of command the info gets less helpful and the person more out of touch. Its very hard to put boots on the ground when your 1000 miles from the hunt area and low on funds. This is exactly where a bio can bridge the gap. At least that's what I try to do when I get calls from hunters that have drawn or are interested in any of my wma's. Try to talk to the field hands that are actually on the ground with up to date knowledge.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Just for a different perspective; as a warden, you can't imagine how many calls I received about where to hunt, where the herd is, where's the best place to find a 40" ram...etc, etc. Most calls I returned but generally the hunter set the tone. Most were great and I was happy to help. Others were demanding and seemed to expect I give them exact spots and specifics. I was less inclined to help them. I was never too fond of strangers coming to my home late in the evenings either. Giving season and limits information is a duty, giving best hunting area information really wasn't, but I did anyway. And in Alaska we don't have state tax so they didn't pay my salary.

I often patrolled for weeks at a time and stayed in a cabin at Happy Valley near the Dalton highway. I have had hunters beat on my door after midnight, demanding to know where I saw caribou while I was out flying. It was hard to be polite.

Anyone who knows me would know that I really enjoy helping folks with their hunts. I've tried hard to help many on this forum. Just remember when you reach out to a warden or biologist that he/she may have had 200 calls before you and one of those calls might have been to their home late at night. Be polite and friendly and understanding if they seem impatient at times.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for weighing in, AK. It's good to get the perspective of someone on the other end.

The behavior of some hunters never ceases to amaze and disgust me. I just can't picture knocking on someone's door after 8:00 unless someone's life is in danger, midnight I just don't get at all. Demanding anything of a stranger is rude, but demanding to know specifically where to hunt is really ignorant behavior, probably influenced by a good bit of alcohol.

Thanks for your help on the forum. You've helped me out with some posts and PMs and I appreciate it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    Just for a different perspective; as a warden, you can't imagine how many calls I received about where to hunt, where the herd is, where's the best place to find a 40" ram...etc, etc. Most calls I returned but generally the hunter set the tone. Most were great and I was happy to help. Others were demanding and seemed to expect I give them exact spots and specifics. I was less inclined to help them. I was never too fond of strangers coming to my home late in the evenings either. Giving season and limits information is a duty, giving best hunting area information really wasn't, but I did anyway. And in Alaska we don't have state tax so they didn't pay my salary.

I often patrolled for weeks at a time and stayed in a cabin at Happy Valley near the Dalton highway. I have had hunters beat on my door after midnight, demanding to know where I saw caribou while I was out flying. It was hard to be polite.

Anyone who knows me would know that I really enjoy helping folks with their hunts. I've tried hard to help many on this forum. Just remember when you reach out to a warden or biologist that he/she may have had 200 calls before you and one of those calls might have been to their home late at night. Be polite and friendly and understanding if they seem impatient at times.
    I would have looked like one of those grizzly bears answering the door if the were pounding on it after midnight. Sry you have to deal with some of those As*hats.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to marcusvdk For This Useful Post: