Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Besides since UH and OregonJim live so close by, they can be my non-paid guides!
    I have no idea how to consistently get someone into a blacktail or a Roosevelt, and that's the truth. If I did I would be killing them consistently.

I've been at it 30 years hunting Blacktails and Roosevelts here in Oregon. I still feel like a novice every time I go out. I can't emphasize enough how tough they are to hunt. You can't pattern them since big blacktails go almost completely nocturnal in rifle season. I run a dozen game cams on our property that has virtually no hunting pressure and it is still very tough. It actually pains me for an out-of-stater to make and investment and think they will have even a remote chance of a quality hunt. If I could do anything to talk you out of it I would. If you absolutely have to do it, book a private land guided hunt.

On the flip side we are running probably 90% on out of state hunts (NV, AZ, CO, MT, UT, WY), DIY in units we have never hunted before.

There is a good reason I've learned to play the application game out of state.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-19-2014 at 12:06 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wouldn't pay $650 to elk hunt in OR and I live here.
    The guys killing blacktails do it in November or hunt pvt land. The guys killing Rosie's know the pvt timberland they ride in on and which patch of timber the elk will jump to when bumped. Neither will be easy for a first timer especially with the deer herd in the tank.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 3 Posts
    UH and Bob speak the truth.

I am by no means a novice and I avg a BT buck every third year. (nothing remarkable)
    In California's B zone and A zone I was getting one almost every year.
    I avg a bull opportunity every 3rd year (bow).
    When I say opportunity I mean I get a single stalk on a decent animal.
    I did a little better before we lost one timber companies access and the other one started charging!
    Last edited by OregonJim; 06-19-2014 at 06:40 AM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 5 Posts
    Alabama, I hope your not taking the posts about Blacktail and Roosevelts the wrong way. Us guys here in Oregon really do know what it's like and are tying to save you from the pain and setting the stage realistic. For a NR to come here and kill even a legal deer or elk is asking a lot, to kill a mature deer or elk on the west side is unheard of without a guide or some help from a local. Even those routes it's still tough. Good Blacktail hunters live and breath hunting them, I used to be one till I got burned out on it and realized there's other things I wanted to do in life beside live in the woods from June till the end of November. Not to mention once the logging stopped the deer disappeared from my hunting area, they never came back and I doubt they will. If you do hunt them focus on the southern end of the state and look for November hunts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bamma, everyone here speaks the truth and I too would suggest stop paying for the points to draw a Rosie tag and start learning an area and terrain that suites your style of hunting in an OTC unit and the same goes for blacktail. I am on a 7 yr dry spell for killing an archery elk and have been on an amazing run with blacktail having taken 6 in row but that is misleading cuz 4 have been forked horns. I also bike in a little over 4 miles before I start hunting my area. So I really believe you should start spending your hard earned coin on OTC hunts so you get more for your money. And good luck as it's quite a challenge to harvest either species!
    Last edited by Wild Country; 06-19-2014 at 07:58 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Country For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm ready for results. I can't believe we haven't heard yet. I don't recall waiting past the 18TH since we could check online.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I'm ready for results. I can't believe we haven't heard yet. I don't recall waiting past the 18TH since we could check online.
    3 posts to 100, can't pull the trigger until then
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Close of business today ........ they wouldn't make us wait another evening.
    Life member RMEF

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Are you guys waiting for draw results or something? HAHAHA!!!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    3 posts to 100, can't pull the trigger until then
    Well, then, let's get it done!

QQ