Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado archery deer gmu 74

I drew a Colorado archery mule deer in gmu 74 this fall. Ive been watching the western hunter and watching nate backpack all over the west hunting at treeline has got me fired up to do the same. Im looking at the la plata mountains due to the bc and py entries from those mountains but when I look over the maps theres very little timberline country vs the northern part of the unit around silverton. anyone hunted either of these areas? any suggestions? thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    There is definitely above timberline country in La Plata Mountains.......come in from the west side.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you mean south side by chance? Into Cumberland basin? The county line(gmu 74 boundry line) runs right up the middle of that range. I will be backpack hunting and was hoping to get several miles in away from roads and trails to avoid other people. Looks like that range is smaller compared to the northern part of that unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    The dirt roads that lead into the high-country in portions of the La Plata's originate on the west side of the mountain range.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hunt 73 a lot and access it from the west, the Dolores River valley & Rico. There are FS roads that can get you to the top....some are pretty rough 4x4 roads. 74 starts there and runs east, basically to Hwy 550. You can also access it from the east by going thru Durango Mt. Ski area (used to be called Purgatory). The road from the east is not nearly as rough.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok guys those roads sound appealing vs parking on 124 and walking all the way up. I'll have to look at the maps a little harder I guess. Can I drive these roads with my 2wd truck or do I probably need to haul ranger up?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Colorado Cowboy how about Kennebec pass? the road that goes from 124 up the back side of Cumberland mountain. Do you happen to know the condition of that road during summer months?