Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sierra Gameking or Nosler Partition for Elk ?????

I will be going Elk hunting this year, I will be taking my model 700, 300 Remington Ultra Mag. As always I will be loading my own ammunition for this hunt. I would just like to get some feedback on effective bullets for Elk hunting. I am considering the Sierra Gameking in a 180 grain or a Nosler Partition, also in a 180 grain. Let's hear some other hunters thought's on this matter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I reload both of those bullets for my '06 in 150 grain size..I think the Partition is a tougher bullet, but the Gamekings shoot better out of my gun. That said, I'd bet if you put either in the right placement you'll have elk on the ground! BTW, I shoot a 700 also. Did you get a hold of the guy I told you about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Depends on the gun. I have killed elk with both and both do a great job. My 30-06 likes the Sierra best and my custom .300 Wby likes the Nosler.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have shot the 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip handloads through my 300 ultra mag and I have also shot the Federal trophy bonded and the Swift scirroco's, never Sierra gameking's yet. By far the most accurate in that rifle is the Nosler ballistic tip. I have had such good luck on other species with the Sierra that I want to try them in my 300.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Barnes tsx or ttsx. You won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've heard/read somewhere that you need to load the next smaller weight bullet in the Barnes ttsx..is there any validity to this? Supposedly to get more velocity so it will open up. I loaded some 130 gr ttsx for my 30.06..they seem to shoot well. I'd rather have a minimum 150 gr though. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You don't have to go down in bullet weight. A lot of people do go down in weight to get more velocity and flatter trajectory. 150 grain in 30-06 should give you plenty of velocity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    What velocity are you looking for? You must have some benchmark in mind. My son and I load for his .300 UM and it is a screamer with 180 grainers. We 3200 fps+ easily. You need to get some bullets & powder and start working up something. You definitely need a chronograph too. My son like 200 grain bullets and uses them, FYI.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I apparently have some homework to do. I loaded the 130s with 56 grains IMR 4064 and a CCI 200 primer. That's middle of the road powder charge. Shooting a 22" barreled model 700 in 30.06. I figure I'm around 3100 fps with this load. It shoots roughly 1" groups @ 100, slightly bigger at 200 yds. I might mess with a half to full grain of powder either direction, but I'm pretty satisfied with it for stupid Cali all-copper law. I normally shoot 52 gr 4064 under Sierra 150 gr Gameking

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't have much hunting experience with the sierra game king but I can tell you from 30 yards to well over 400 the Partition is a killer on elk and moose.