Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long Range Bullet

Wanting to get some thoughts on this. What bullet do you think would be better for 500-1000yards on elk, .338 300gr AccuBond, .338 300gr Berger, or an .338 300gr match bullet? These will be shot out of a .338-378 Weatherby.

Thanks,
    newguy220

P.S. I know there are people that against this, so if you don't have any opinion on this could you please not post about how you don't like long range hunting, thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    You certainly don't want to use the latter because it's not a hunting bullet and it would probably be best to go on the Long Range Hunting website to ask a question like that, rather than having to put up a comment like you did since many of us don't care for the latest trend you mentioned. Many over there would probably say to go with the Berger if your gun shoots it accurately.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Run the original Nosler Accubond!! They will be coming out with a 338 LR Accubond shortly per their Facebook page. I've washed my hands off the Berger's they don't hold together at close range with high muzzle velocities. Good luck!!
    Last edited by woodtick; 06-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I shoot Accubonds and the next bullet I will work a load up for is the Accubond LR (Long Range).

http://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range/
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have shot a few animals at short and long range with bergers and they worked a lot better at longer ranges, now I switched to the 150 LR accubonds

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What kind of problems did you guys have with the bergers? And also what distance?
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    168 gr Berger VLD out of a 7mm STW blew apart on the ribs of an bull elk at 55 yards, I've never tracked an animal that far in my life. We never anticipated being within bow range but that sort of thing happens and I don't want to deal with something like that ever again. I've made close to the same shot twice since then with Accubond's @ around 3300 fps and they've both performed above and beyond my expectations dropping the animals in their tracks. And I have a friend who has had them come apart on the thick fur of an Antelope at 75-100 yards. If they work for you great, but I'll never use them again for big game hunting.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Barnes makes a Long Range bullet. I like anything Barnes, my guns like them. They work, they certainly hold together, retaining upwards of 90% of their loaded weight. Nosler AB's are good as well. What does your rifle like? And what animals are you Long Range hunting?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot accubonds as well, but I've got a buddy that shoots the bergers & he loves them. So I was just curious, not sure if he's shot anything under 300 yards though. He shoots a .300 win mag with a night force & 185 grain hunting vld with nosler brass.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    I shoot accubonds as well, but I've got a buddy that shoots the bergers & he loves them. So I was just curious, not sure if he's shot anything under 300 yards though. He shoots a .300 win mag with a night force & 185 grain hunting vld with nosler brass.
    Oh they work great at anything over 150 or so, but there is always that chance something will pop up right in front of you! I'll never stray from Nosler, I used Barnes a long time ago and when they went away from the X-bullet to this TSX line we quit shooting them, the BC was horrible in the TSX's.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

11. The Following User Says Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post: