Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the reply's. Looks like the AccuBond would be the better choice.

Thanks again,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    I use Partitions when I hand load. Other than relying upon its reputation, there was no other reason that I've gone with Partitions. I could've easily have gone with another bonded bullet. I've killed mule deer with bargain factory loads. But when I need assured penetration, my rifle is loaded with Partitions. I will sacrifice perceived distance for penetration. And I ain't so sure that Partitions, within reason, give up much distance.

I've never hunted with Accubonds. However, I have read excellent reviews of them. I did buy a hundred 130 grain .270 Win Accubonds. I haven't loaded them yet because I wasn't drawn for mule deer this year.

My suggestion would be to find a good quality bullet that your rifle prints well and go with it.

BTW, from my experience, shooting big game a long way away requires perfect conditions more than it does a "long range" bullet. When I see an animal a long way away that I want to shoot, my first thought is to figure out how I can close distance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SansSouci For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    I use Partitions when I hand load. Other than relying upon its reputation, there was no other reason that I've gone with Partitions. I could've easily have gone with another bonded bullet. I've killed mule deer with bargain factory loads. But when I need assured penetration, my rifle is loaded with Partitions. I will sacrifice perceived distance for penetration. And I ain't so sure that Partitions, within reason, give up much distance.

My suggestion would be to find a good quality bullet that your rifle prints well and go with it.

BTW, from my experience, shooting big game a long way away requires perfect conditions more than it does a "long range" bullet. When I see an animal a long way away that I want to shoot, my first thought is to figure out how I can close distance.
    I've stayed out of this because in today's shooting environment I am not a "long range" hunter. I've killed big game as far away as 471 yards, but don't shoot that distance regularly. I am very comfortable with my shooting abilities, but as the distance increases so do the variables that the shooter has little control over. SansSouci has good command of this situation.

NOSLER Partitions are my elk & larger animal bullet of choice. Other than that on everything else, Sierra Spitzer BT ( Gamekings) are my bullet of choice. Been shooting these 2 bullets for over 50 years and have nothing to complain about as they flat out perform for me.

At my age, "old school" defines my approach to long range hunting....get as close as you can, minimize the variables and let your experience and judgement take over from there.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 8 Posts
    CC---I'm with you 100% on your comments. I handload Hornady BTSPs for 3 different calibers for antelope up through deer and go to their Interbond in my 30-06s for elk. All my rifles shoot MOA or better with them and terminal performance at any distance out to 300+ yards, which is my max distance due to bad eyesight, has been outstanding. My initial comment suggesting that the OP ask his question on a LR specific website was merely made in an attempt to eliminate exactly what he later stated usually gets started on sites like this where most don't attempt the LR deal, but rather try to get closer as you and I do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 5 Posts
    Bullet recovered from my 338 ultra mag on a caribou. Guess what it's a sierra boat tail.
    Distance 362 yards
    Bullet SBT game king 250gr
    muzzle velocity 2913 @ 52 degrees
    Shot quatering away, found under hide on offside front shoulder
    Mushroom wieght 238gr, diameter .83"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1521.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	9725Click image for larger version. 

ID:	9725-->

I think most people over look sierra bullets.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alaska2go For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    Yes they do!!! As long as you don't push them over 3100 impact velocity they'll perform quite nicely!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy220 View Post
    Wanting to get some thoughts on this. What bullet do you think would be better for 500-1000yards on elk, .338 300gr AccuBond, .338 300gr Berger, or an .338 300gr match bullet? These will be shot out of a .338-378 Weatherby.

Thanks,
    newguy220

P.S. I know there are people that against this, so if you don't have any opinion on this could you please not post about how you don't like long range hunting, thanks.
    Try the Barnes LRX. Accumarks typically like Barnes bullets.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    Bullet recovered from my 338 ultra mag on a caribou. Guess what it's a sierra boat tail.
    Distance 362 yards
    Bullet SBT game king 250gr
    muzzle velocity 2913 @ 52 degrees
    Shot quatering away, found under hide on offside front shoulder
    Mushroom wieght 238gr, diameter .83"

Click image for larger version. 

ID:	9725Click image for larger version. 

ID:	9725-->

Have you ever shot anything over 500 yards with them?

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    Try the Barnes LRX. Accumarks typically like Barnes bullets.
    Have you got to see any of them shot over 500 yards?

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Topgun,
    I've taken the time and looked though a lot of the long range sites and they all seem to shoot Berger, but mainly for the accuracy and not always the terminal performance. I thought asking on here, might get some different opinions of people that do make some long shots, but that isn't the only way they hunt.
    I was asking for a friend because he is building this .338-.378 for long range shooting/hunting. I was curious to see what people have seen as far as bullet performance at those distances.
    I like to get close also, but I enjoy shooting out there a ways too. Where we hunt you sometimes can't close in within 500 yards, some may find that hard to believe, but that is the way it is.

newguy220