Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts
    I watched a buddy shoot a deer in the shoulder at 100 yards with a 190 Berger and the deer fell flat on his face then got up and ran off and never found it. I shot a doe with 210 Berger at 300 yards in the shoulder area and also never found it, yeah a 300 rum with a 210 Berger! Shot another doe at 600 yards one shot never moved a inch, performed perfect. So 75% of my shots are not over 350 yards so I decided to use the LR accubonds since they are a well bonded bullet and also have such a high bc I won't hesitate to shoot a animal farther than 350 yards. To me the LR accubonds seem more of a versatile bullet for closer range and longer ranges.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    I watched a buddy shoot a deer in the shoulder at 100 yards with a 190 Berger and the deer fell flat on his face then got up and ran off and never found it. I shot a doe with 210 Berger at 300 yards in the shoulder area and also never found it, yeah a 300 rum with a 210 Berger! Shot another doe at 600 yards one shot never moved a inch, performed perfect. So 75% of my shots are not over 350 yards so I decided to use the LR accubonds since they are a well bonded bullet and also have such a high bc I won't hesitate to shoot a animal farther than 350 yards. To me the LR accubonds seem more of a versatile bullet for closer range and longer ranges.
    A big AMEN!!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    I think the general idea is that mushrooming bullets that hold together are better for killing game at closer ranges, say 500 yards or less, where Bergers that fragment are better at longer ranges, say 500+. If you are shooting a mushrooming bullet at long range, you will just poke a hole through them due to lack of expansion. I've heard Bergers are best for long range broadside rib shots that blow up the vitals at long range.

I am definitely not an expert on this subject, just repeating what I have heard.

PS: Those yardages are just approximations.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-11-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I use 180 bergers out of a 7stw. I have 300 175gr ablr's sitting on the shelf but I haven't read anything that gives me confidence they will do the job. They're as accurate as the bergers with the same load though.
    UH, I think your summation is pretty accurate. Bergers and the ablr's come apart at close range and Barnes pokes a hole at long range.
    Last edited by WapitiBob; 06-11-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    After reading the reviews on the bergers & if you decide to go with them, might consider a neck shot at close range?
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's all I'm doing on antelope from here on out. The 180's knock them off their feet and absolutely ruin the front half. A baseball sized hole thru n thru.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    That's all I'm doing on antelope from here on out. The 180's knock them off their feet and absolutely ruin the front half. A baseball sized hole thru n thru.
    Or you could do what I do.
    25-06 with a handloaded 87 grain varmint bullet for antelope.
    Works well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I think the general idea is that mushrooming bullets that hold together are better for killing game at closer ranges, say 500 yards or less, where Bergers that fragment are better at longer ranges, say 500+. If you are shooting a mushrooming bullet at long range, you will just poke a hole through them due to lack of expansion. I've heard Bergers are best for long range broadside rib shots that blow up the vitals at long range.

I am definitely not an expert on this subject, just repeating what I have heard.

PS: Those yardages are just approximations.

Depends on BC of said bullets which contributes to the velocities they're traveling at impact & what they actually hit. Bonded bullets will always be better when bone is involved.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I have seen quite a few kills with Berger's Hunting bullet line (VLD and Classic Hunter), and from what I have seen they perform extremely well. I don't hesitate to load them in my hunting rifles. I had a nice one shot kill on a cow elk last year at a bit over 300 yards with the 168 CH in my 7RM. It passed through and the elk did not go far.

That said, I have also had great luck with Nosler Accubonds and Barnes TTSX. Both fine choices in addition to the Berger.

The Bergers definitely have the BC advantage which is nice at LR and also in the wind.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    You certainly don't want to use the latter because it's not a hunting bullet and it would probably be best to go on the Long Range Hunting website to ask a question like that, rather than having to put up a comment like you did since many of us don't care for the latest trend you mentioned. Many over there would probably say to go with the Berger if your gun shoots it accurately.
    Topgun, I wasn't trying to offend anyone with that comment. I have just seen these threads turn into a big debate over shooting distance and you never get an answer to the question.

newguy220