Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    If success is high on your list, I would definitely NOT go 2X1, I cringed when I heard you were considering it. You need to maximize your days and opportunities to kill an elk.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-11-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used to guide in NM. Go 1 on 1 especially for archery. If you're hunting a slam dunk pvt ranch, yea maybe team up. Anything else your odds of killing aren't very good to begin with so don't cut them further. Team up after one of you tags out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Someone already mentioned it - but there isn't too significant difference between 1:1 and 1:2 with most guides. If you're going to spend the money definitely go 1:1. With luck, one of you will tag out early then you'll be able to hunt the rest of the time together.
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    I would definitely go one on one. I went with a buddy that couldn't keep up and it slowed us down big time. I thought he was in shape but wasn't.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 9 Posts
    I have several years guiding experience elk on prime land in Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico- 1 on 1 is the best option by far when it comes to an archery elk hunt. You chances for one of you to be successful at least doubles by splitting up. You can cover twice the ground to locate elk. Your guide can tailor the hunt to your abilities and preferences. You can move undetected more easily with fewer people. Sneaking in on elk by yourself is difficult. With three or four people it becomes ridiculously hard at times. There is no guessing "is he going to shoot?". Once one of you fills, the free guide usually becomes a scout for the remaining hunter making it easier to locate additional animals. You eliminate the risk of stepping on each others toes- guided hunts can cause stress that most people don't see coming. There are more reasons but I hope you understand my opinion.

If you want to go on a buddy hunt that you can experience together, choose a private land rifle hunt for elk or do a weekend antelope hunt together.