Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 2 Posts

Antelope tag Disappointment.

I put in for the special draw for a unit 27 antelope that was 100% last year and didn't draw. This is my last year to get to hunt out of state, because I'm changing jobs and starting over with vacation time. I was going to take my dad along on the hunt and then camp a few days in Yellowstone after I killed an antelope. I've looked at the left over list and nothing left has good public access. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 8 Posts
    Bummer how when it says 100% and it really isn't. Happen to me last year in Wy too.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    The number of tags were cut pretty dramatically in that unit this year. Based on that, it was unlikely to be 100% draw this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    Area 27 type 1 tags were reduced from 400 tags to 300 tags this year. They cut tags in a bunch of areas this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Alot of units took more points to draw this year, its not just you. The main reason units have tags leftover tags is because they have access issues but you can still have a good hunt in some of them if you do your homework on them.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Alot of units took more points to draw this year, its not just you. The main reason units have tags leftover tags is because they have access issues but you can still have a good hunt in some of them if you do your homework on them.
    That's for sure and there is plenty of time before the remaining tags go on sale to figure out at least a doe hunt somewhere. In fact, many ranchers will allow doe hunts for free, especially after the first few days of the season pass and things calm down when the opening crowd goes home.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 2 Posts
    I think I will focus on a left over deer or elk unit close to Yellowstone and leave the antelope alone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbackhunter View Post
    I think I will focus on a left over deer or elk unit close to Yellowstone and leave the antelope alone.
    I think the wolves ate most of them in that area?
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe get a wolf tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    There are lots of antelope leftover around Gillette. Around Buffalo and Sheridan there are some ranches that are on the list from the Game and Fish to call. I think that comes out July 10th. There is some public land to hunt. It is a little trickier than other areas, but there is some public land around Gillette in the grasslands, BLM, and stuff. There is some BLM around Pumpkin Buttes in 23 for instance. The access is actually getting better with the oil and gas and uranium in the area. You do have to watch out for the rigs and stuff, though. The roads are pretty good lately. A GPS chip is kindof necessary. The public land isn't always marked very well, but there are places to go and they have antelope. Its kindof of the way to Yellowstone depending on which way you go. If you were still interested you might be able to get the antelope checked off.