Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cowboy hat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, I wear one quite a bit these days. Mainly to keep the weather off my glasses and to keep my hearing aids from shorting out. Can't see and can' hear either...LOL.

Here are a couple photos of a "bull dogger" from back in the day. I've gotten away from this style and gone with the wide brim...one in camo and one in orange.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Larry October 1977.jpg   Colorado 1980.jpg  
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    Isn't it felt? Bet that would get my head sweating while stalking a pronghorn haha
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Isn't it felt? Bet that would get my head sweating while stalking a pronghorn haha
    I have been wearing wide brimmed hats (called cowboy hats by everybody) foe many, many years. They have been made of lots of types of material...felt (mostly wool), fur ( beaver, rabbit, etc), leather and plant fiber. Unless they are made of light weight material or open fiber.....they are all hot! I have a couple of really nice "straw" hats that are really hot. They are close weave and don't breath well. Hold them up to light and if you can't see light thru them, they will probably be pretty hot.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have pretty good collection of boonies -- regular, gortex, mesh. Same theory, brim all the way around. In addition to keeping the sun and rain off your neck and out of your ears , your profile doesn't change when you turn your head, so an animal won't as easily notice the bill of your cap moving around when you move your head .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdy View Post
    I have pretty good collection of boonies -- regular, gortex, mesh. Same theory, brim all the way around. In addition to keeping the sun and rain off your neck and out of your ears , your profile doesn't change when you turn your head, so an animal won't as easily notice the bill of your cap moving around when you move your head .
    I like those, too. I am paranoid about getting asked to help move cows or something if I wear a cowboy hat. Its like wearing a hard hat to a construction site. Sooner or later somebody is going to ask you to do something. I try to avoid work at all costs, even at the cost of burning the back of my neck. I heard on the radio that suntan lotion doesn't protect against skin cancer, just burns, so it is even more important to cover up and protect yourself especially at higher altitudes.

Thanks
    Congratulations

I prefer a big old flat brim "Amish Style" and the shades are a must for little swagger!! I can barely shoot a rifle with that big cumbersome thing on, so you might want to go with one like big moose
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    I'm not sure on this one. I bought one from cavenders several years ago that was staw. I think i was called a camo cowboy.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    I'm not sure on this one. I bought one from cavenders several years ago that was staw. I think i was called a camo cowboy.
    Ok, need to get to looking at a bunch
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will mention that I treat my hats with Scotch Guard a couple times to get them waterproof. It really helps when you're out in the weather.

Selfie...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After a Eight Mile Hike.jpg  
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.