Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Angle Compensating Rangefinder

What do you guys like for an angle-compensating rangefinder?

What is important to look for? I would use it for both archery and rifle.

I'm thinking about getting the Leupold RX-1000i TBR with DNA. It's about $350 on eBay and gets good reviews on Cabela's.
    Last edited by hoshour; 06-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got a Leica 1000-R to replace my CRF 900. I have had it out shooting a bit and playing with it, really liking it so far. I have never had a problem with my Leica 900. I needed one with angle compensation so I went with the 1000-R, mainly for archery hunting, but also for rifle hunting. Always reliable and optics are fantastic, seems to read faster than other brands I have used. I have played around with friends Leupolds and to be honest, I haven't liked them much. You can find the Leica demo models at Camerland for $530.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    G7 BR2 is the best.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a near brand new leupold 1000i tbr dna I am selling.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    I can't say it's the "best" without having used them all, but after a couple years with my Leupold 1000i TBR/DNA, I remain really happy with it. Killed a 30" buck in NV at a hair over 350 at a strange angle- definitely helped there. An archery Blacktail at lets just say past 60, helped there. And a nice bear outside 400. I dial everything in with an MOA knob on my scope, so practice shooting has built a lot of confidence in that rangefinding unit.

The Leupold's optical quality is pretty good, although the newer Leicas are noticeably brighter and seem to offer a wider field of view (and feels lighter in the hand). Still not looking to change though.

One other thing I find impressive- It's pretty common to actually get readings of 900-1000 yards, unlike others I've had that seem to fall well short of the advertised number.

Todd
    Last edited by BigSurArcher; 06-17-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have the Vortex Ranger. Same here not sure how well it works yet in the field but it seems to work well with just messing around with it at the house.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really like my Bushnells Primo The Truth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a Leupold 1000i TBR and got rid of it. I am now using a Nikon Riflehunter 1000 and really like it after using it all last season deer hunting. Most of my use with the Riflehunter has been from a deer stand with ranges less than 100 yds. However, I have used it out to 450 yds on paper targets while shooting my rifles. Beyond that I haven't used any other models.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    I can't say it's the "best" without having used them all, but after a couple years with my Leupold 1000i TBR/DNA, I remain really happy with it. Killed a 30" buck in NV at a hair over 350 at a strange angle- definitely helped there. An archery Blacktail at lets just say past 60, helped there. And a nice bear outside 400. I dial everything in with an MOA knob on my scope, so practice shooting has built a lot of confidence in that rangefinding unit.

The Leupold's optical quality is pretty good, although the newer Leicas are noticeably brighter and seem to offer a wider field of view (and feels lighter in the hand). Still not looking to change though.

One other thing I find impressive- It's pretty common to actually get readings of 900-1000 yards, unlike others I've had that seem to fall well short of the advertised number.

Todd
    What are you ranging at 900-1000yrds? Solid objects? What's the farthest on an animal you've had ranged?

Only reason I'm asking is I'm getting a new one. Gave my Bushnell 1000arc to my grandpa for crossbow hunting. It failed at rifle ranges; 225 max on a caribou. The rangefinder did fine in the Midwest archery hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not a Nikon guy but was talked into the rifle hunter 1000. Love it. Can't remember how far I've got ranges though. Me, my dad, and my best friend are leupold guys and all have had problems with all leupold range finders. We don't use them any more.