Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 7 Posts

Antelope growth?

I know they shed in late fall or early winter and most of the growth is done in the spring. But I have been scouting on Memorial Day weekend and today. I have found good bucks with a bunch in the 60-70" range. Maybe 1 or 2 a touch over 70". My question is, how much growth will they put on from now until August first? There is not a lot of water where I am hunting. I can't imagine more then an inch or 2 max but I have no clue. Thanks
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    http://azantelope.org/Facts___Resear...wth_study.html

I didn't find much about how much they will grow from now to hunting. The other articles said stuff about testosterone and it being triggered by daylight hours, but didn't really say much about how much they would grow other than they would continue to grow as long as the nutrients were available and the hormones were being released to grow them. Just guessing, but with the rut and hormone changes with that, that might be when the growth slows or stops, but its hard to say how much they will grow.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    http://azantelope.org/Facts___Resear...wth_study.html

I didn't find much about how much they will grow from now to hunting. The other articles said stuff about testosterone and it being triggered by daylight hours, but didn't really say much about how much they would grow other than they would continue to grow as long as the nutrients were available and the hormones were being released to grow them. Just guessing, but with the rut and hormone changes with that, that might be when the growth slows or stops, but its hard to say how much they will grow.
    I was told from a very experienced hunter that they do grow up until the rut.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    I was told from a very experienced hunter that they do grow up until the rut.
    Your "very experienced hunter" is incorrect! Pronghorns only have about 4-6 weeks left for horn growth, so what you see now will not have too much added to it for length before the end of July. They drop their outer sheaths very early and most will only show the inner skull bone by sometime in December and they start growing the outer sheath not too long after that. Most areas in Wyoming are looking real good right now due to winter and spring moisture from what all the residents are saying and many good bucks are being seen. Some feel this will be the best hunting season to kill a really good buck in the last 7 or 8 years. It sounds like what the OP is calling good bucks have at least another year before I would call them good, since a buck in the 60s to 70" is nothing more than average.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-15-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I wonder if Nevada timing is the same as Wyoming? I been wondering about this too.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I wonder if Nevada timing is the same as Wyoming? I been wondering about this too.
    I really doubt there is much difference and IMHO the moisture variations affecting their feed would be the deciding factor along with genetics in the areas. My guess is that the horn growth in NV either is from poor moisture and/or a lot of young bucks that have a year or two to go to reach their potential. The good thing is that he's seeing a lot of bucks, so with the right conditions over the next year or two some of them should be dandies.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-15-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    One antelope in my unit will be as close to his potential this year as he is going to get because he is not going to get another chance next year! lol
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One antelope in my unit will be as close to his potential this year as he is going to get because he is not going to get another chance next year! lol
    You killer you, LOL!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Your "very experienced hunter" is incorrect! Pronghorns only have about 4-6 weeks left for horn growth, so what you see now will not have too much added to it for length before the end of July. They drop their outer sheaths very early and most will only show the inner skull bone by sometime in December and they start growing the outer sheath not too long after that. Most areas in Wyoming are looking real good right now due to winter and spring moisture from what all the residents are saying and many good bucks are being seen. Some feel this will be the best hunting season to kill a really good buck in the last 7 or 8 years. It sounds like what the OP is calling good bucks have at least another year before I would call them good, since a buck in the 60s to 70" is nothing more than average.
    Bucks here will start rutting in August. Usually when I am archery hunting the first of August they are chasing does around. So 4-6 weeks sounds about right then to the rut and growth

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thats forsure MM

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk