Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right now the antelope are growing below the prongs but they're not gonna get too much taller than they are right now. Their horns have been growing for the past 7 months (give or take) and will be finished before hunting season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    Right now the antelope are growing below the prongs but they're not gonna get too much taller than they are right now. Their horns have been growing for the past 7 months (give or take) and will be finished before hunting season.
    I found a buck that if he adds a little more mass could be in the 75-80" range. Right now I think he is at 75" so if he can a little bit here and there he can be a good buck
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    He sounds like a good one and an inch of growth on the bottom is worth more than an inch of growth on the top. Wet springs and summers are good for mass. I think this will be a good year for horns and antlers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    He sounds like a good one and an inch of growth on the bottom is worth more than an inch of growth on the top. Wet springs and summers are good for mass. I think this will be a good year for horns and antlers.
    Antelope have very little growth left. Any growth that occurs between now and hunting season would be negligable to the observer. In other words, if you are eying a buck that is not quite big enough, he won't be quite big enough during season either. Summer is a good time to scout bucks for size because they are nearly grown out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is an interesting topic, and as a taxidermist I have tried to put this all together as well. I think for the most part. The main growth is all but done by now and the additional growth will be very minimal and for sure only occur at the base of the horn. However, I personally think given the right conditions, the horn will continue to grow "very slightly" until the rut.

That being said, this is what I've noticed. We know that their horns are made of hair and fingernail type material. We also know that they shed the sheath every year and start growing a new one immediately. I have noticed that bucks killed in August up until about Sept 10th or so, still have a lot of long hair at the base of the horn that is actually part of the horn and comes off with the sheath (on normal moisture years), indicating that the horn growth is just finishing up. Bucks killed at the end of September have little hair attached to the sheath at the base, and there is a slight ring indicating that the sheath is drying up and preparing to separate from the horn underneath (in my opinion). Bucks killed from the 10th of October to the end of October are starting to show signs of a loose horn sheath. Most bucks will drop the sheath by November 15th, some as early as the last part of October. I have removed horn sheaths from bucks killed as early as October 9th, and the typically hairy meat matter under the sheath actually has about 1" of new horn growing at the tip. in my opinion this buck would have shed his sheaths prior to the end of October. I have notice that almost all bucks killed after the 20th of October, have about 1" of new hard horn cap growing underneath the existing sheath.

Bottom line is this. In my opinion, a buck has the potential to keep growing horn up until the rut starts if the conditions are right. However, the growth from July on will be very minimal. Also, I think that a bucks horn is actually starting to dry up and shrink by mid October, as it prepares to come off.

sorry for the small book I just wrote.....

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tmitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmitch View Post
    This is an interesting topic, and as a taxidermist I have tried to put this all together as well. I think for the most part. The main growth is all but done by now and the additional growth will be very minimal and for sure only occur at the base of the horn. However, I personally think given the right conditions, the horn will continue to grow "very slightly" until the rut.

That being said, this is what I've noticed. We know that their horns are made of hair and fingernail type material. We also know that they shed the sheath every year and start growing a new one immediately. I have noticed that bucks killed in August up until about Sept 10th or so, still have a lot of long hair at the base of the horn that is actually part of the horn and comes off with the sheath (on normal moisture years), indicating that the horn growth is just finishing up. Bucks killed at the end of September have little hair attached to the sheath at the base, and there is a slight ring indicating that the sheath is drying up and preparing to separate from the horn underneath (in my opinion). Bucks killed from the 10th of October to the end of October are starting to show signs of a loose horn sheath. Most bucks will drop the sheath by November 15th, some as early as the last part of October. I have removed horn sheaths from bucks killed as early as October 9th, and the typically hairy meat matter under the sheath actually has about 1" of new horn growing at the tip. in my opinion this buck would have shed his sheaths prior to the end of October. I have notice that almost all bucks killed after the 20th of October, have about 1" of new hard horn cap growing underneath the existing sheath.

Bottom line is this. In my opinion, a buck has the potential to keep growing horn up until the rut starts if the conditions are right. However, the growth from July on will be very minimal. Also, I think that a bucks horn is actually starting to dry up and shrink by mid October, as it prepares to come off.

sorry for the small book I just wrote.....
    Alot of good and interesting info, thanks!!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 MM, that was a good read.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker