Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    If you look at the draw summaries this happens more than most people realize. Last year a guy burned 17 points on a 4th season bull tag in GMU 4, 0 points was 100% draw. Another burned 16 in gmu 11, again 100% at 0 points. Another burned 18 on an either sex 4th season with 100% at 0 points. And the bonehead of the year award goes to the guy who burned 22 points on a 1st season bull hunt in gmu 19 that was 100% draw at 0 points! I don't know if they made mistakes and just turned the tags back in and got their points restored. If they didn't they are truly idiots.
    Its amazing how many things like that you see going through the draw stats. See alot of guys in WY use points for hunts you can get 2nd choice or even leftover, even some in the SP draw.You would think someone building that many points would study the draw alot more.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOHNTR View Post
    I think far too many hunters equate high demand units (lots of PP's needed) with high probability of trophy critters. Most will be disappointed when they finally draw. JMO.
    I definitely agree. I have hunted many of the top rated units in many states, as well as mediocre ones. There's no doubt the best value are the mediocre units you can hunt frequently and get to learn. This is why if Colorado goes to point banking as expected, I'll definitely be splitting up my points for multiple hunts in lesser demand units. My 18 elk points have very little value otherwise.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by the breeze View Post
    I met the guy with max deer points. He is a really good guy and know's his stuff. He buys 3rd season deer tags in the Gunnison Valley every year. He is waiting to burn the points on a 4th season tag in that area once the herd bounces back.
    There'll be stiff competition for those tags and likely why the locals are strongly pushing for those kind of guys to lose their points when they buy a voucher. They think somehow it'll bring the voucher prices down or allow them the ability to draw the primo tags more frequently.

There are several guys in the top 18 who are waiting on 4ths to open.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    If you look at the draw summaries this happens more than most people realize. Last year a guy burned 17 points on a 4th season bull tag in GMU 4, 0 points was 100% draw. Another burned 16 in gmu 11, again 100% at 0 points. Another burned 18 on an either sex 4th season with 100% at 0 points. And the bonehead of the year award goes to the guy who burned 22 points on a 1st season bull hunt in gmu 19 that was 100% draw at 0 points! I don't know if they made mistakes and just turned the tags back in and got their points restored. If they didn't they are truly idiots.
    Yea this happens more than you would think and is the reason why banking would actually ADD points to the pool every year. Making it harder to draw every single unit out there while not helping the very top end units.....

Just the 4 hunters you listed above would have added over 70 points to the pool in one year alone under banking. The next year if they hunted - these 4 hunters would likely add 60 points to the pool. This is while likely displacing another 4 hunters every year adding 4 more points to the pool as the CWP them selves will say that the 0 point units are a thing of the past under banking..

So for these 4 guys to burn all the points under banking in the units they choose to hunt - it would likely add depending on where they hunted, how many points the units leap, and who they displace banking would ADD over 250 and very likely more points to the pool. Yea just these 4 alone.... Take into account all the point holders out there and banking will add literally thousands of points to the pool every year.

For this reason as well as a long list of others if banking comes back get ready for point leap like has never been seen anywhere in the west.... Good thing is the CPW is realizing these numbers are real and has all but eliminated the tried and failed option of banking. I also have talked with a commissioner directly as well as 3 folks who prepared the CPW preferred alternatives paper and from how they talk we will not see banking back.
    Last edited by ColoradoV; 06-16-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some may not be hunters at all? Some people get their Hunter safety and collect points to put in for licenses they never use. The DOW has tried to discourage this by what you see when you have not applied or actually hunted the year before. Cost of the point is expensive now, but those people have deep pockets and they think it really makes a dent. I do not like to mention their name or organization. Zero press from me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PointsHunter View Post
    Sharing for no particular reason. Anyone with 16 or greater Deer and Elk NR preference points in Colorado may be intersted in the attached. I started tracking the run-down about 5 years ago. Current thru the 2014 draw and data taken from Colorado Game & Fish website.

Attachment 9724
    PointsHunter, one thing you may want to check…...I believe that data is actually the points going INTO the draw, not AFTER the draw. I believe you are getting your data from the Colorado Hunt Recap Summaries.

One reason I know that was that I thought the same thing as you until a year ago, that the data in the Hunt recap Summaries was AFTER the draw. I had 22 elk points and started noticing that way too many people were drawing with only one point more than me, in fact more guys were drawing than had one point more than me (or so I thought). I then put the pieces together that the Hunt Recap data was the data going INTO that year's draw, rather than AFTER the draw.

I further confirmed this when I looked at the Hunt Recap Summary for sheep. This year I had max points (3 + 13 weighted points) and that is the max level shown in the 2014 Hunt Recap Summary. Next year I will have 3+14 weighted points, which is not shown in the 2014 Hunt Recap Summary.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-17-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuBijou View Post
    Some may not be hunters at all? Some people get their Hunter safety and collect points to put in for licenses they never use. The DOW has tried to discourage this by what you see when you have not applied or actually hunted the year before. Cost of the point is expensive now, but those people have deep pockets and they think it really makes a dent. I do not like to mention their name or organization. Zero press from me.
    I'm completely lost. I must be in the dark on this one. You mean people put in for licenses, draw and don't hunt? I'm not questioning your statement but why would someone do this? I'm totally confused.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH. The data is from the Hunt Recap Summary. I had 3+12 going into this year colorado sheep - now showing 3+13 as 'current points' after the draw. I had assumed the 244 listed in the 2014 Hunt Recap Summary was after the draw and thought I was max points. Ah hell... If you're saying max sheep holders show 3+14 after the 2014 draw then I'm down a point from where I thought I was for 4x species... What a kick in the nuts!
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PointsHunter View Post
    What a kick in the nuts!
    Exactly! That's how I felt when I realized that. Even one of the major magazines was reporting it incorrectly. That is why I decided to burn my elk points this year. With around 400 guys in my pool and above, it was time to stop waiting. It's time to change your name from PointsHunter to TagDrawer.

Here are my points off the Colorado website this morning.

I came off the wait period for sheep in time to be in the max point pool (drew in 1988), but drew goat 4 years later and didn't get off the wait period until after the current point system started.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-18-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Soooooooo.....what unit are you building those deer points up for?