Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 6 Posts

Arizona deer, Jan OTC

Lots of things up in the air right now, but if the opportunity arises I may make a looooong road trip over to AZ with my father in-law in January. He is not a hunter but is in love with the South West, I just started applying for AZ so I am going to take this as a chance to explore some areas. I really want to hunt a Coues Deer, though I would love a Strip Tag as well! I have been doing a bit of research on Coues Deer units that can be drawn in 3-7 years during the later Dec season and in the mean time I thought about going out there on a OTC Jan hunt every couple years to learn the areas.

I thought about the far Southern units but the illegal's have me a bit worried about my camp and vehicle.

Right now I am looking at hunting somewhere between Phoenix south to Tuscon and east of those cities. Haha, huge area I know but one day I wouldnt mind drawing 22 late season, but would rather be able to draw a unit with fewer points than it takes.

I am also going to look into the hunters education point and figure out how to get it while Im out there on a hunting trip.

Anyone else do much hunting in that broad area during the Jan archery hunt?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    I've bowhunted it every year for the past 30+ years. Not as many deer in the desert as there used to be, but still a fun hunt and great time of the year to be out there.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BOHNTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    AT,

I maybe out there this winter. My brother will be moving to Sierra Vista this fall and will have plenty of contacts down there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 247Buckfever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am excited to think about the chance of getting out there. My thinking is to hunt a OTC archery tag in a unit I can draw a rifle Dec hunt, now I just need to narrow down a few units to investigate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    AT-

I am new to AZ so I can't vouch for much yet but I have scouted units 21 and 4A/B and have seen a couple nice coues deer and a lot of javelina sign in 21, particularly in the New River area. Not so much luck in 4A/B but haven't spent nearly as much time there as in 21. What I do know is there can be some good water holes in the draws and canyons in 21. All of those units might get a little crowded during the season because there is so much access via NF roads but that also means a lot of room to roam and hopefully break away from the bulk of the crowds.

Problem is, 4A/B only has OTC during the early season (Aug 22-Sep 11) but I am pretty sure 21 offers OTC archery only for all three seasons (I know it offers at least two, so you could still do your parallel rifle, plus you have easy access to units 22 and 23, which also offer multiple archery only OTC's).

Check out UB-AZ's posts; UB gave me some really good unit options to check out and maybe those posts will help you too.

Godspeed!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to micropterus79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the advice microterus. Could you provide link to that post, I briefly checked but no luck finding it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    AT:

It's the very next post.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BOHNTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Definitely, the closer you go to the border the more deer and less hunters, serria Vista area is a good area, send me a p.m.and I can give you some help on hunting the southern borders.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to az.mountain runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    AT Hiker,
    For Coues....archery in Jan.... look into these units and in no particular order other than north to south.

24B - Wilderness areas with good hiking trails.
    33/32 - Open mountain sides and good numbers of Coues. Quality is not as high, but you will find the 90-100 class deer. 33 is better in my opinion just because of access and opportunity to walk/hike. Eastmans rank this as excellent for the Dec rifle.
    29 - Sleeper unit IMO...... Since it is on the far south east portion of the state not too many of the city hunters go there. Plus access is limited as well as a limited hunt time frame. Limited number of deer get pulled out each year, but there are some really nice ones…

Obvious units - 36C, 36B, 35B, 35A, 34B, 34A but like you said... there is activity there that you don't want to be a part of. I've spent many a days in some of those units and have border patrol on speed dial. One year I called them every day for 12 days straight.

Buy a lion tag, especially if in units 33 and 32.

I recommend going later in January for deer and put in for Javelina archery. If you get drawn you can hunt pig and deer with a bow. If you want to try the combo of Javelina & Coues then I would put in for 33, 32, 34A, 34B, then just pick one…. 

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UB-AZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Good stuff UB.....especially for a Steelers fan

Go Browns!!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker