Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Thorofare Hunt

After 20 years of applying (and not drawing) for unit 100, I decided to hunt with an outfitter in the Thorofare area of NW Wy. After a lot of research I booked a wilderness hunt with Hidden Creek Outfitters. My question is has anyone hunted with them? If so what was your experience. I am going to be 70 this year, live at 6800 ft and work out daily, so I will be well prepared physically. Next year I am going to BC, Canada to hunt Moose and Sheep. Been trying to draw Az also, no luck there.

Thanks for any input anyone has.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 06-19-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have not hunted with that outfitter, but I have bowhunted in the same area. My 65 year old dad hunted with me, and we're from MN, and the terrain was no problem. We saw quite a few nice bulls, I arrowed a decent 5x6. Also saw a lot of bighorn, mostly ewes and lambs, but still pretty cool. Expect to see the griz, as there is a healthy population in that area. Enjoy the hunt, and good luck!
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulations! I hunted with Justin Jarrett (Wapiti Ridge Outfitters) out of Cody in 2009 for mule deer in that region (Shoshone NF). It is beautiful country but rugged and very high. I got altitude sickness one day when we were up around 12,000 but I was ok at camp level of 9500. I don't know the outfitter you chose but I've seen their shows. They seem to be good people and I've not heard anything negative about them. As Crimson Arrow mentioned, you'll probably see Grizzly. We saw two different sows and one of them had 2 cubs with her.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Grab a prime rib from the Irma while you are in town. Hope you enjoy this visit!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good tag...wish we didnt have so many grizz and wolves around there. Never heard of your guide...i know JJ (Justin Jarrett) who is a great guide one of the best around also Colby Gines great guy, So awesome to be around him. Hope you have a good time on your hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Talked to my outfitter Bill Perry today, he called to verify some info and let me know how things are. Seems that the snow really stayed late (same here in SW Colorado!) and the elk stayed low until a month or so ago. He said we should have a great year! I wouldn't expect him to tell me anything else. Still working out 5 to 6 time a week. Last week took a day hike into the Lizardhead Wilderness area to Navajo Lake. Trailhead is at 8500 and lake is at 11,000, 6 miles each way. In/out in 10 hours with a little time for fishing too. My workouts for the last year have really paid off. Other than the 30 mile horseback ride into camp....I'm ready. Pretty good for an old man of 69 years!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got back from the range and the final shooting with my .300 Wby. Got several groups at 200 that were around 1 1/2". Shot out to 500 last week and verified my scope settings, also shot less than minute of angle groups. No alibies now, looks like everything is ready. Been horseback riding and working out almost everyday. Can't wait ....I'll be on my way to Cody 3 weeks from today!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know you are getting excited! That muley hunt was my first "back country" hunt and it is one I'll never forget!! We don't get to do that type of hunting here in Alabama like you folks out west!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    CC,

I can feel your excitement in your posts!

It is great to see you are investing more into your hunt than money. It. Sounds like you and your equipment are good to go.

I can't wait to see a field photo of you and your trophy.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tomorrow is the day, leave home here in SW Colorado at 4:00AM, expect to be in Cody for dinner. Last gym workout today and finish packing the truck. I talked to my neighbor yesterday and saw his nice 5x6 bull he got on opening day of bow season. Probably won't make 300 as one pt broke off. He is a pilot for SW Airlines and a dedicated bowhunter, has a 368 bull to his credit from the local area here, which is pretty good for here.
    Going to spend a couple of days in Cody at the BB Museum and of course dinner at the Erma. Staying at the Cody Motor Lodge as my outfitter has a deal with them for rooms. Meet Saturday and verify our sight ins at the range and take all our gear to the trailhead for an early start Sunday AM. Start hunting Monday. Planning to take lots of pictures and on having a blast! Later......
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley