Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like lots of fun! Can't wait to see your trophy photos!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As mentioned, the elk and all the other big game have taken quite a beating all around the Yellowstone area from the grizz & wolves. Population levels are way, way down from what they use to be. Hoping you have a sucessful hunt. Beautiful country there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got back from the hunt and had a wonderful time.....but got blanked. First and foremost let me say that Bill Perry of Hidden Creek Outfitters runs a first class operation. Everything was done right. Food accomadations, guides and wranglers were great. Their first hunt went 11 for 12. We were blanked in Teton Camp and Hidden Creek Camp didn't do a lot better..2 for 6 (one was a cow). The ride in was as expected...hard and long, but I wasn't too sore afterwards. Hunted 6 long hard days. Up every day @ 4:30 am and out of camp after breakfast by 5:30. Hunt all day until dark and usually got back for dinner between 8:30 & 9:00 PM. Rode horse/mule to hunting area every day. Sure glad I spent so much time getting ready...I was also the oldest hunter in camp.

The hunting.... Saw elk every day, but not very many. First day had an oportinity at a great 6x6 that was just not a great shot to take. was 440 YDS going uphill, all I had to shoot at was his back and ass. Wind blowing about 20 to 25 and no good rest, so I passed. Saw him a couple of other times but either too far or too dark. That was the only good bull I saw.Other days we saw a few with the spotting scope or ones that were in the Park. Finally found a small group of 6 cows and a small 4x4 bull late one afternoon. Put them to bed and the next morning they were in the same spot, about 700 yds across a canyon. They were feeding towards us and a pack of woilves busted them! Found them again the last day and I would have shot the small bull,, but 4 Grizzlies had other ideas. They were on top of us (less than 70 yds)right a daylight and we really had to make a lot of noise to scare them off and the elk took off too.

A couple of years ago and again last year in EHJ, Guy Eastman wrote about the toll being taken on the Elk (Moose & Deer too) by the wolves. Really sad, bones laying everywhere. It should be finishing up with the rut now (should have been full on when I was there) but no bugling at all, heard one or 2 grunts from the 4x4 after we cow called. If the wolves and bears hear any calling from the elk they are on them. So everything is real quiet. Pretty sad situation, as this was a truely great area in years past.

If anyone plans on going to Thorofare, the first & last hunts are the only ones I would book.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's a shame. Are you planning on going back ever?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Probably not. Even with a first hunt and much better odds, my 70 year old knees are the problem. But I'll never give in, so who knows.If Wyoming gets a real wolf management plan in place and gets some of thgose critter under control anything is possible. The only trouble is its so close to Yellowstone and safe haven for them.
    Right now working on my son to go with me for maybe a Caribou hunt. Next year for sure is a deer & goat hunt to Wyoming and turkey/pig in Texas in April.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Better to have gone and not kill a bull than to sit home and wish you were there...Congrats... at least you got to spend a week in some of the most beautiful country god ever made !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am glad you had a wonderful experience but sorry that you didn't connect on a bull. A caribou hunt has always appealed to me as well and I think you would come back with 100% success on that hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Luck!