Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 5 Posts
    Look at Salomon GTX they run about 170ish and they'll handle anything you can throw at them!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    While not the traditional name brand... I picked up some Under Armour boots just to fool around in because they were in the $150 range. Surprising well made and comfortable. I don't know that they are the best boot I've ever owned - but for the price they exceeded my expectations more than any other boot I've owned.
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 8 Posts
    Ok, here is something to consider and i know this is not necessarily what the OP is about, but it is worth mentioning.

Boots are my number one non-weapon related piece of gear. If you can't walk, you can't hunt. A few years ago I stepped up into Meindl boots from the lower end waffled out boots I wore for years that shall remain nameless. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes......

1. Find a boot that is primarily made of one piece of leather and doesn't look like a compartmentalized waffle on the sides. Waffle boots don't provide ankle support.

2. Fit is king, if the boot doesn't fit you won't enjoy the hunt. Don't buy a boot you can't try on and walk around in a little bit. At worst find a company with a good return policy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Danner Jackals are affordable but don't get them. I did and they didn't last a year. Just the other day they got a widening hole in the top of the boot where it flexes above the toe. When I emailed the company they weren't too interested in helping me when I told them their boot was a waste of my money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know it's double your price but I got a pair of ASOLO's and love them. I've put 150+ miles on them so far with no issues. Best boots I've ever had! Before those I was burning threw 2-3 pairs of rocky's a year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was looking thru the bargain cave at cabelas and they have danner pronghorns for $150. Thats a good deal.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105636780

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 2 Posts
    Love my Danner Pronghorns, have had great luck with Danner. Tried the Meindl but they didn't fit my feet right although I know guys who love them. I agree with Scott, you need to try them on and walk around. I ordered the Meindl's and when they arrived was disappointed by how they felt.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado T View Post
    Love my Danner Pronghorns, have had great luck with Danner. Tried the Meindl but they didn't fit my feet right although I know guys who love them. I agree with Scott, you need to try them on and walk around. I ordered the Meindl's and when they arrived was disappointed by how they felt.
    That is key with boots, everyone of our feet are different. Offering a review on the fit of a boot based strictly on personal foot shape is one of my pet peeves. Quality is a whole other issue, if a boot fits well but you can't beat the tar out of it then I wouldn't buy it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would pick very carefully through Sierra Trading Post for clearance items. For example:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/low...colorFamily=01

(Lowa Hiking boots for about $170 (uninsualted, no gortex though) -- not sure what sort of boot you are looking for, but that strikes me as a pretty good deal)

You used to get an extra 30% off if you signed up for their emailing list as well

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I will echo some of the sentiment away from buying anything much under your $150 thresh-hold. If you're comfortable buying a new pair after two good seasons of use, then you'll be fine, but I stretched my $120 boots to a 3rd season [and then a 4th] and I regretted it every step. My feet were absolutely miserable. It's not the end of the world [I'm sure some of our ancient relatives hunted in less comfortable, less water-resistant foot wear than our cheaper stuff today] but not having soaking wet, bloody toes makes for a more enjoyable hunt.