Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Look at Salomon GTX they run about 170ish and they'll handle anything you can throw at them!
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    While not the traditional name brand... I picked up some Under Armour boots just to fool around in because they were in the $150 range. Surprising well made and comfortable. I don't know that they are the best boot I've ever owned - but for the price they exceeded my expectations more than any other boot I've owned.
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Ok, here is something to consider and i know this is not necessarily what the OP is about, but it is worth mentioning.

Boots are my number one non-weapon related piece of gear. If you can't walk, you can't hunt. A few years ago I stepped up into Meindl boots from the lower end waffled out boots I wore for years that shall remain nameless. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes......

1. Find a boot that is primarily made of one piece of leather and doesn't look like a compartmentalized waffle on the sides. Waffle boots don't provide ankle support.

2. Fit is king, if the boot doesn't fit you won't enjoy the hunt. Don't buy a boot you can't try on and walk around in a little bit. At worst find a company with a good return policy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Danner Jackals are affordable but don't get them. I did and they didn't last a year. Just the other day they got a widening hole in the top of the boot where it flexes above the toe. When I emailed the company they weren't too interested in helping me when I told them their boot was a waste of my money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know it's double your price but I got a pair of ASOLO's and love them. I've put 150+ miles on them so far with no issues. Best boots I've ever had! Before those I was burning threw 2-3 pairs of rocky's a year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was looking thru the bargain cave at cabelas and they have danner pronghorns for $150. Thats a good deal.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105636780

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Love my Danner Pronghorns, have had great luck with Danner. Tried the Meindl but they didn't fit my feet right although I know guys who love them. I agree with Scott, you need to try them on and walk around. I ordered the Meindl's and when they arrived was disappointed by how they felt.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado T View Post
    Love my Danner Pronghorns, have had great luck with Danner. Tried the Meindl but they didn't fit my feet right although I know guys who love them. I agree with Scott, you need to try them on and walk around. I ordered the Meindl's and when they arrived was disappointed by how they felt.
    That is key with boots, everyone of our feet are different. Offering a review on the fit of a boot based strictly on personal foot shape is one of my pet peeves. Quality is a whole other issue, if a boot fits well but you can't beat the tar out of it then I wouldn't buy it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would pick very carefully through Sierra Trading Post for clearance items. For example:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/low...colorFamily=01

(Lowa Hiking boots for about $170 (uninsualted, no gortex though) -- not sure what sort of boot you are looking for, but that strikes me as a pretty good deal)

You used to get an extra 30% off if you signed up for their emailing list as well

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will echo some of the sentiment away from buying anything much under your $150 thresh-hold. If you're comfortable buying a new pair after two good seasons of use, then you'll be fine, but I stretched my $120 boots to a 3rd season [and then a 4th] and I regretted it every step. My feet were absolutely miserable. It's not the end of the world [I'm sure some of our ancient relatives hunted in less comfortable, less water-resistant foot wear than our cheaper stuff today] but not having soaking wet, bloody toes makes for a more enjoyable hunt.