Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tom13, When do you plan to hunt? We will be there from central-cal and plan to hunt Sept 29-Oct 3. A few of us will head from there to hunt Deer the last week of the season in Region W.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    'robsev' - so in other words, mulie tags may be a tad oversubscribed... Good to hear on the antelope though. That hunt is still a ways out, but intel gathering is a big part of it. This thread is off to a great start. Excited to hear how the guys do this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Good info Rob. And we may end up sticking with trying to draw the 34 tag down the road. Just not sure yet. I now have 5 points as well. Went into the SD with 4. As far as antelope, well I hope it turns out to be a good hunt!! It would have been nice to draw the deertag because the unit is one in the same, which is pretty rare out there. I guess if/when we finally do draw 34, we will have to look eslewhere for antelope if we want to do the combo again. Because we will never catch back up to our mule deer points. Good luck on your hunt Rob, and in your research Diehard.

We will be out in the unit antelope hunting beggining on October the 10th/11th.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Just a quick comment regarding your antelope hunts in 73. There were 800 Type 1 tags issued in 2013 and again this year for 2014, so that should tell you there is a stable population there with no cuts made like the G&F did in so many other units. You guys will do fine on them, but the deer tag will be harder to fill, especially with a real good buck, but there are some good ones in that unit.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    hunted it in 2012,,,antelope will not be a problem,,,just find water,,,deer will be up in the hills somewhat,,,seen a few nice ones.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wanted to resurrect and oldish thread.

A buddy and I are looking at doing a combo Deer/Antelope (Region H/90) hunt fall 2015. We have the points to draw both and I wanted to see how many days you guys would allow and what are the real chances of success at finding both? Looking for decent goats in the mid 70's and just a representative mule deer, not a 170+.

From all the research we've done it and the average antelope hunt in unit 90 being 2-3 days it doesn't sound like we will have much trouble finding goats but I have no clue on deer or if we are just wasting our money on buying a deer tag as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    Wanted to resurrect and oldish thread.

A buddy and I are looking at doing a combo Deer/Antelope (Region H/90) hunt fall 2015. We have the points to draw both and I wanted to see how many days you guys would allow and what are the real chances of success at finding both? Looking for decent goats in the mid 70's and just a representative mule deer, not a 170+.

From all the research we've done it and the average antelope hunt in unit 90 being 2-3 days it doesn't sound like we will have much trouble finding goats but I have no clue on deer or if we are just wasting our money on buying a deer tag as well.
    Hey Robie, I would probably start another thread as opposed to asking your question in this one. You'll likely get more responses. You're asking about a totally different area of the state than what this thread is geared towards. Good luck!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cobb - thanks for the reply. I will when I get closer to putting in my application.

I just wanted some general info as to the idea of a combo hunt. Who has done it were the successful? Or have most people been better off just hunting goats and saving a deer hunt for another year.

I realize that if you have a month worth of time to hunt is a lot different than if you have a week. So wanted to see how much time people allow for a combo hunt.

I also want to hear how Tom's hunt is going/went.
    Last edited by robie; 09-25-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Cobb - thanks for the reply. I will when I get closer to putting in my application.

I just wanted some general info as to the idea of a combo hunt. Who has done it were the successful? Or have most people been better off just hunting goats and saving a deer hunt for another year.

I realize that if you have a month worth of time to hunt is a lot different than if you have a week. So wanted to see how much time people allow for a combo hunt.

Robie, I would give a minimum of 3 full days for antelope and 6 full days for deer. More would be better.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations

Oh....I'm tracking now. That does sort of fit here better then!! I tried my dangest to do the combo hunt this year in 73/34. And we almost pulled it off. So I will say this....its the drawing of the tags that can disrupt your whole plan. And boy did it derail us. I basically had to start from scratch and look into areas with deer leftover tags. We ended up buying a Reg M tag just because it is relatively close to our antelope unit. And almost everyone I talked to said Reg M is a bust and not to expect too much. So....we are going in expecting a pretty decent antelope hunt, and an extended camping trip for a deer hunt haha. We ARE going to have a good time regardless.

I looked at unit 90 for antelope just now. Looks like it will take around 5 points in the reg draw. And I'm sure you know, but H will take a couple too. The 2 of them seem to be relatively close together geographically, so you could probably pull it off. And the antelope season on the unit 90 tag is long. That helps. From what I've read about Reg H, I'd allow at least 7 days on that hunt, and 2-3+ for the antelope. I wish ya luck man, that would be a very cool trip.

Edit: I should add that we are spending 3 days antelope hunting, 1 day deer scouting, and 5 days deer hunting. That's actual on the ground time. Our drive time is what makes this a really long trip. 22-24 hours each way. We will try to drove straight through. But have back-up plans if we can't.
    Last edited by Cobbhunts; 09-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker