Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow fletching

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts

arrow fletching

so i order arrows the other day and got them over lunch today and realized that i ordered the plain shaft with out fletching and i had them cut so can't return them. now I'm going to put some fletching on myself and was wondering if i needed to get a jig or just get the quick fletch where all you need to do is put it on and put it in how water. Is there any disadvantages to the quick fletch compared to the regular quick spin vanes? any accuracy difference? thanks guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    I shot quick fletch for years. They are good, but not great. If you never shoot past 50 or 60 in practice, I have no complaints, but when it comes to fixed broadheads, shooting at animals over 40-45 yards, and long distance shooting (even with practice) they aren't worth it. My buddy and I put on fletchings one year and I haven't looked back since. I now fletch all of my arrows with a RH helical with a bitzenburger jig. I also found that I enjoy it, but it is nice having the shrink fletch that is easy on easy off. Accuracy, even under 60, has been much improved as well.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have used quick fletch the work well I dont shoot long distance so can't say st distance how they shoot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Maybe I might just buy a jig and fletch my own, do people buy just plain shafts so they can put on whatever vanes they want?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    That is what I do now. I bought my last shafts cut from Lancaster Archery. I put the inserts in, fletchings, lined up my BH and was ready to go. I really enjoyed making my own arrows. The best part about having all of that stuff is that you can do everything yourself and don't have to go to a pro shop somewhere to have them put another fletching on
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have a bohning fletching jig now. It's not bad but it's one vane at a time. I looking at the arizona e-z fletch jig, it will do all 3 vanes at the same time.

Thanks
    Congratulations

I love to fletch,ive done hundreds! I feel it is way worth doing it yourself. We all have are own way of doin it ,but i find if ya put a little platinum plus cement on the tip and back of your fletch they stay on allot longer.and give the vane or feather time to rest on the jig .they set up better,making your work last longer. I think you will shoot better in the end learning to do your own set ups and arrow work! Shoot straight!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 6 Posts
    I have always fletched my own arrows. Get yourself a good jig. The Bitzenburger is probably one of the best. Buy some vanes and go at it fletching arrows is easy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There's not a better reason to buy yourself a good jig now haha. I love it when I screw up like that. Always gets me another toy!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I find that my DIY vanes stay on better then any that come with the arrows.
    My procedure is:
    1-remove all previous glue
    2-wipe shaft with alcohol (70% alcohol or greater) Don't use the whiskey, that's for drinking!! After cleaning, besure not to touch the area after cleaning, the oils from your skin are enough to affect the bonding. If you want to use a wrap, apply after cleaning shaft.
    3-Place your arrow into the fletching jig (Bitzenburger is still the best) and select your vane placement (right, left or straight helical)
    4-Determine the distance you want the vane from your nock. Place your vane into the clamp at the desired position. Do not place the bottom of the vane directly against the bottom of the clamp. Leave about a 1/16th of an inch gap from the bottom of the clamp to the bottom of the vane. Some may suggest cleaning the bottom of the vane with alcohol. I would personally recommend not to.
    4-Use a good high quality glue. (Fletch-tite platinum, Carbon Express express bond glue, etc.). Place small bead of glue on the bottom of the of the vane.
    5-Place the vane clamp into the jig and place the vane against the arrow, starting from the back or nock side of the vane first and working toward the front to ensure good vane to arrow contact.
    6- Follow recommended drying time. Some glues will set enough in 1 minute to remove clamp and move to next vane.
    7-Adjust arrow for next vane and repeat from step 3 to 7 until complete.
    8-After all vanes on arrow, place a drop of glue on the front and back of each vane were it contacts the arrow.
    9-Repeat steps to finish your dozen arrows.!!

Also, to make sure the arrows fly well with fixed blade broadheads, make certain both ends of the arrows are square. G5's ASR (arrow squaring device) works great for this.

Good Luck building!!

Dave

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveZ For This Useful Post: