Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: arrow fletching

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Great post DaveZ, and +1 on the G5 ASD. Best $30 (or however much they are these days) you can spend for your archery tool box.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Great post DaveZ, and +1 on the G5 ASD. Best $30 (or however much they are these days) you can spend for your archery tool box.
    Agreed. That is exactly how I do it, but I use a different ASD. It is an arrow spinner and squaring device in one so I can square, build, then spin test, but any device is better than nothing. Definitely use alcohol like he mentioned. I have also heard that comet mixed with water can work too, but its way more messy, so I use alcohol.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Over time having a jig will pay off. Fletchings fall off, get cut, whatever. Buying vanes in bulk is cheaper as well than buying prefletched arrows. I recommend using wraps as well. Makes stripping old Fletching way easier.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Is there a recommended distance from nock to start vane and also the helical how do I know which one to get, not to knowledgable on this just always bought arrows with fletching,thanks for the advice

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts
    I just went to bitzenburger's website. They recommend a right hand helical for right hand, but I'm not too entirely sure it really matters. As far as distance from the end of the arrow, I just eyeball it. Take a look at what factory fletched arrows are and try to get close to that. If I remember off the top of my head correctly, I'm somewhere around 1/2" from the end, but that is just a guess.

I shoot with my off colored vane up, some people shoot them on the side and some down... not sure what you do, but what I haven't been able to figure out is how to get it where my cock vane points up. I always have to move my nock, which also means that my bh alighnment gets off. Not sure on that one. Maybe someone can help with that
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    thanks all for the info on the arrows and fletching

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    .. not sure what you do, but what I haven't been able to figure out is how to get it where my cock vane points up. I always have to move my nock, which also means that my bh alighnment gets off. Not sure on that one. Maybe someone can help with that
    I assume you are using a Bitz. Just above the index dial on the bottom of the jig, there are three set screws. These will change where the index dial stops. Loosen one and tighten the other to see how the alignment changes. Don't tighten the screw's to much as you will not be able to turn the dial.

Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    On smaller carbons I still use the right hand helical clamp for vanes shorter than 3". Any vanes longer than 3" you might have to use a straight clamp and adjust the clamp with slight righthand offset. I shoot ACC ProHunters and with blazer vanes and the right hand helical works fine. Once you get the Bitzenburger clamp centering adjusted for your arrows you can fly through your arrow fletching. I have used lots of different glues and find that the Loctite Super Glue Gel Works the best. The only way to remove the fletching is with a knife.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Get a Arizona EZ fletch they are very easy to use, I use blazer vanes so I have the mini, I use the right helical, actually I have 2 so I can do to arrows by the time I get the second arrow done the glue is dry enough on the first arrow to take the jig off. Go to youtube and watch a video to see how easy it is I use arrow wraps and goat tuff glue.