Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post

Mosquitos

So I was up hiking today and the damn Mosquitos were hellacious. I haven't seen them this bad in years, so I'm kinda worried about archery season... What do you use to get rid of Mosquitos while hunting I'm afraid that regular mosquito spray would be scented by the elk, do they have scent free mosquito repellant?

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    They make some earth scented stuff but it still has a foreign odor.
    I used to hunt some terrible locations in regard to mosquitos and I would get by with just a little of that stuff on exposed skin.
    Thermacells work wonders but just if your sitting still.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Consumer Reports ranked Unscented Cutter Backwoods the highest of all mosquito repellants, tied for 1st with Off Deep Woods Sportsman II which doesn't say anything about scent.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 6 Posts
    I use a thermacell, I was skeptical at first but the dang thing works like a charm!!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've seen somewhere that the thermacell doesn't work above 4500'. Is this true?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Does the thermocell work while walking or hiking?
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Drifter View Post
    I've seen somewhere that the thermacell doesn't work above 4500'. Is this true?
    yes

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Consumer Reports ranked Unscented Cutter Backwoods the highest of all mosquito repellants, tied for 1st with Off Deep Woods Sportsman II which doesn't say anything about scent.
    I've tried them all when bear hunting in northern Minnesota, mosquitoes are as big as hummingbirds up there...and clouds of them.
    My friends and I all used different repellants , including Cutter's Backwoods, regular OFF, and deep woods OFF. The deep woods off worked the best along with a mesh headnet & mesh gloves. You have to play the wind with them because they ALL have a chemical odor, even the so called "Scent-Free" ones.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    I am a believer in hunting the wind no matter what your scent control methods are. I used to go all out with everything on the market trying to cover my scent and rarely would I have an animal down wind that didn't spook. I studied this a bit and discovered your breath alone is almost 50% of you scent signature to an animal... no spray will make that go away. All I use now is scent killer on my boots so I don't leave as bad of a scent trail. All of that said, I don't think it matters what the scent of your spray is. If an elk/mule deer gets down wind of you, the game is up. Use a good high percentage deet spray and go hunt!

My experience with thermacell is positive in calm conditions. If there is a breeze they don't work near as well... Great for tree stand hunting but not so much for hiking and spot and stalk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I am a believer in hunting the wind no matter what your scent control methods are. I used to go all out with everything on the market trying to cover my scent and rarely would I have an animal down wind that didn't spook. I studied this a bit and discovered your breath alone is almost 50% of you scent signature to an animal... no spray will make that go away. All I use now is scent killer on my boots so I don't leave as bad of a scent trail. All of that said, I don't think it matters what the scent of your spray is. If an elk/mule deer gets down wind of you, the game is up. Use a good high percentage deet spray and go hunt!

My experience with thermacell is positive in calm conditions. If there is a breeze they don't work near as well... Great for tree stand hunting but not so much for hiking and spot and stalk.
    That's how the mosquitoes find you too.....
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7