Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquitos

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 6 Posts
    mosquitoes are really bad around these parts this year. it's been really wet and hot so far this summer and they are thick. they really make early season bow hunting suck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dang mosquitoes are flying vampires
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squetter.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	9820

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can try gargling and then brushing your teeth with baking soda before you go hunting to help with breath. Avoid spicy foods or strong foods, especially things like subs, hamburgers, pizza, tacos. Eat something natural like an apple.

And, like Hilltop said, chances are they are going to smell if they are downwind. On the other hand, I have had deer feed for 20-30 minutes directly under my tree stand or within 10 yards and not smell me, even in the evening when the air is descending. That's even in warm weather when I worked up a sweat going up the tree in a climber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sawyer makes a permethrin based product that you can treat your clothes with that is odorless and lasts for several washes.

Be careful with DEET products if you wear synthetic clothing. It can stain or damage your high dollar hunting duds...

I went through this whole process last year after being exsanguinated on a scouting trip. I did the research and settled on the Sawyer product and treated all my clothes. Right after I finished I heard from a well known guide in Wyoming that the mosquitoes would not likely be a problem come September. He was right. Didn't see a single mosquito on our hunt.

This was at 11000 feet in Colorado.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I use a thermacell, I was skeptical at first but the dang thing works like a charm!!
    This. Best thing I've used. Our bow season opens the first Saturday after Labor day in September. It's usually between 90-100 degrees and humid. Thermacell is the one thing that makes it bearable.

Permethrin works for ticks and mosqs (some), but you can't put it on your skin. Nor can you spray it on your clothes while they are on your body. I also never leave the house without Permethrin on my clothes. We have seed ticks (turkey mites) and if you get into those, you will regret it. Permethrin is the ONLY thing that works with them. Good Luck!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have unscented cutter backwoods on now from softball games and there is definitely a smell to it.
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, fuse 8 in stabilizer, g5 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, G-5 Montec 100 grain broadhead, tru-fire hardcore release