Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    [QUOTE=cutback;102410]FWIW, I've got 15 points and at present have no interest in hunting Unit #20.
    From where I'm sitting, It would have been a better use of your time, to take some of your own advice and pm the op...... Comes across as an amazing display of internet hunting sherriffs and arrogance in your posts......[/QUOTE

FWIW ain't much IMHO because there was absolutely no arrogance in asking what we did and I believe we're both pretty well respected, very active members on this site!!! FYI the Mods have asked that we try to keep this site clean of confrontational posts like you made and what you stated could have easily been put in PMs to us just like you said we should have done to him! How would you like it if you had one of the few tags for that hunt unit and read that post showing all those kill sites and information out on a site where you don't even have to be a member to read it? If you're honest you'll know exactly what your answer would be and why we have asked the OP to redo his post out on this thread where he's been active every day, including this AM for a slight edit he made, rather than in a PM! Please drop it and let's keep the thread away from anything that will require a Mod to intervene. Thanks!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-29-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you for making my point. Enough said......
    "Old enough to know better"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cutback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by cutback View Post
    Thank you for making my point. Enough said......
    Please see my PM!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-29-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Top Gun & UH,

First - thanks for the respectful way with which you gave input regarding my OP. The intent of my post was to help fellow sportsmen who draw this tag. I certainly never intended to create conflict between members. I've thought about your input and certainly respect your opinion. I edited the post and removed one slide which indicated a possible location of an outfitter's camp. Posting that was poor form and I acknowledge the error.

It is my opinion that based on the number of tags (~15 per year) and the frequency in which any one person could draw (roughly every 20 years) that this information will not in any way "screw over" any particular hunter. UH rightly pointed out that information like this can lead to a particular area getting additional hunting pressure. I also considered that prior to posting. However, if you'll look at the information posted you'll see hunters will need to hike about a mile just to get into the hunting unit and once there it's steep terrain. My assessment - not enough hunters would be willing to hunt this area to lead to spike in hunting pressure. Last, the information posted is not the "popular" hunting area for this unit and having hunted the area doubt what I have posted would result in sudden spike in hunting pressure. Again - intent of post was to help dedicated sportsmen fortunate enought to draw the tag.

I'm a "junior poster" on this site but over the past 3 decades have only missed hunting season while at service academy or deployed... so I'm fully aware of the "value of information" regarding hunting locations and how hard it is to aquire that information. While we may disagree, I ask that you respect the thought process I used prior to posting.
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I respect your thought process, but I and most others completely disagree with what you did for the reasons already stated. I'm on a number of pretty big websites and I've never seen anyone give out that kind of exact information, including actual maps with kill sites like you did right out on a thread open for even nonmembers to see. I also disagree with your assessment about number of people that will use the information to their advantage and not be a detriment to persons that have that area picked out through a lot of hard work on their part. There are a lot of people that go a lot further now than you might think to do a hunt. I'll be 67 in a few weeks and I even still go back in 2-3 miles on a daily basis where we hunt deer and elk in Wyoming and have to backpack anything we shoot out to our truck. Anyway, it's your choice to leave it up or take it down since technically you're not violating any website rules, but IMHO your lack of courtesy to the other members that have agreed with us that it was wrong will probably be remembered by them if you ask for help in the future. Have a good day!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Please see my PM!
    PM reponded.
    "Old enough to know better"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    one time at band camp..... ikeepitcold found a pretty sweet .300 and has a pretty pic dedicated to mm on another thread, with flowers and all. check it out

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    one time at band camp..... Ikeepitcold found a pretty sweet .300 and has a pretty pic dedicated to mm on another thread, with flowers and all. Check it out
    Huh?!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I drew this tag for this year. I have the info. Now delete please!

Thanks Mike

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DEERSLAM For This Useful Post:

12. The Following User Says Congratulations to DEERSLAM For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I don't want to get into an argument over this. Here are my thoughts.

Post a thread titled very specifically for the area you are offering info for (just like you have done). Then just post something like "We had a very successful hunt in this unit in 2013. I am willing to share very detailed information with one hunter per year. Please feel free to send me a PM after you have drawn the tag." Maybe even post a pic of the bull.

I have given very specific info to one guy each year for several areas I have hunted. I spend many hours on the phone each year helping guys out on hunts I will never draw again. Often when talking to them I learn they have hunted a unit I am trying to draw, and mutual hunting connection has begun.

I think this approach accomplishes what you are hoping to do in this thread without making it open to everyone who surfs this site. I believe there are many many times more views of this site by non-members than there are by members. Most of those aren't here to give info, only to take.

I will say this is by far the most detailed info I have ever seen on an open public forum, that is the only reason I have asked for it to be modified.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-30-2014 at 12:42 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post: