Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

300 win mag factory loads

I drew a nv elk tag so its time to hit the range and I was wondering what everyone fav factory load is for elk? I will be shooting out to 500 yards at the range but I highly doubt Id shoot more then 350 while hunting.

Set up is rem 700 bdl and a Leopold 3x9 scope nothing fancy and I used to shoot it a lot but have been archery hunting the last 8 years.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'd look at something with a Barnes TTSX or TSX. I think Federal loads Barnes bullets. Me, I handload.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I just got my first 300 win mag. I will pick up a few boxes of differant brands and weights to find out what combo my gun likes. IMO a 165grain or bigger is best for elk.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I just got my first 300 win mag. I will pick up a few boxes of differant brands and weights to find out what combo my gun likes. IMO a 165grain or bigger is best for elk.
    What he said, 180+ is the name of the game anymore with the 300's. I'd spend a few dollars and try a out a few different brands. Look for Accubonds, Partitions, TSX's and Interbonds just to name a few. Every rifle is different even the same model made within hours of another will shoot one kind differently!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    What he said, 180+ is the name of the game anymore with the 300's. I'd spend a few dollars and try a out a few different brands. Look for Accubonds, Partitions, TSX's and Interbonds just to name a few. Every rifle is different even the same model made within hours of another will shoot one kind differently!
    Good advice there. I've always used 180 gr. or higher with the 30's when it comes to elk, although I'm currently playing with the 175 gr. LRX from Barnes as a hunting load. Using a bullet built for penetration is a good idea when it comes to an animal like elk so you'll want to shy away from any of the Ballistic Tip, SST, etc. bullets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The Federal Vital shocks load nosler partitions and barnes TSX and a few more. I would take the above advice and buy a several different loads and see what shoots the best. I've been amazed at the difference some of these loads create.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agree with the above suggestion. Purchased a Rem. BDL in 300 Win. Mag. two years ago. Experimented with Hornady Superformance, Fed. Nosiler Pat., and Barnes Vor-Tx TSX, all in 180 gr. Vor-Tx TSX is most DEADLY ACCURATE of all, out to 400 yds. Have use it on deer and wild pigs......KNOCK DOWN POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the REM BDL also. I run the TSX 165 gr. to try to flatten out a little more. I have heard the 180 can be more accurate, so i may try that this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Finding the right factory round is always a process, and I'm in the same boat as well. For my new .300 I'm trying to cook up a load I really like with 180 gr. TTSX's. The one option I wanted to pitch out there though is Federal Fusions. I use them in my M77 .300 and it does incredible things with them. In all fairness this particular Ruger has not been overly fussy, but this was a factory round I tried before going to the reloading bench and it does so well I didn't see the point in trying anything else. To the Fusion's credit are 4 elk (including my best bull to date) and a handful of mules and whitetails. Good luck with you search and congrats on drawing that tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    nv-hunter,

Congratulations! I hope you kill a monster bull.

When I hand load, I use mostly Nosler, mostly because of Nosler's reputation and they are what I've always used. I could have very easily gone with another bonded bullet.

When I shoot factory stuff, I almost always go with Core-Lokts, the standard green box Core-Lokt stuff. I will go with bargain bullets to use only on deer. Just about any bullet will kill deer.