Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wall tent purchase

So my hunting party and I have decided to all chip in on a good wall tent. We're looking at one from Montana Canvas and need it to be big enough to sleep about 4 people with cots and everything. We want a sleeping area in the back and a big enough area in the front to put up a small table that a good 5-7 guys can hang out inside plus a wood stove. We're planning on just going all out on this thing, sewn in floor, aluminum frame and also the "cook shack" with the frame up front. So my question for someone who has one or has experience with them is how big? We were thinking maybe the 14x17 with the 14x12 cook shack but not sure. Also, where's the cheapest place to buy them? Any advice would go a long ways, thanks!
    Bull Time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    When it comes to wall tents, it's been my experience that floor-less is the way to go. It'll cut out some weight and they are WAY easier to set up and WAY easier to keep clean. If you want portions to be "clean floor", you can just take along a ground cloth or tarp. The sizes you're talking about should be sufficient for your needs with the cook shack. We'll run a 12x14 (sleep) and a 10x14 (cook) tent for 6 people and everyone stay's comfortable. Honestly, you just don't spend that much time inside of the tents unless the weather turns to crap on you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If cost or weight are a concern, give the Cabela's Alaknak a look.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...t-x/732548.uts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd go with the 12'x20' Alaknak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We have a 15x20 from Bussards in Albany. They are a great bunch down there. We drop it off every year and they dry it and pack it for $50 (+/-). We through it out of the pickup with ice still covering most of it. Their system is truly modular unlike some of the others. You buy the connectors and then just buy your own steel conduit pipe. We have a wood stove, but we are considering a kerosene heater. Quicker to deal with, and a space saver as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would check out davis tent and awning especially their scratch and dent sales.
    I would go with 2 tents 12 by 14 set end to end with a 10 gap between them and a half roof and one wall for a fire area. 2 tents can be useful if your party all doesn't go or somehow get tags in 2 different places

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah still haven't decided on the floor or not, I have heard that it makes them much more difficult to set up. As for as weight savings not all that concerned about it being heavy. We're pretty set on a canvas tent. I've never seen the Alaknaks in person but I was sort of curious about them, whats the material like on them?
    Bull Time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    forget the floor just take a roll of heavy plastic like the knida that they put in crawl spaces it works great and cheap too

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im with the others go without the floor. I bought a 14X16 from Davis tent and went with their traditional pole set up. I was going to go with the internal frame (more money) but they talked me out of it and I'm happy they did. I also got the awning for the tent and it helps protect the roof from embers with the stove and gets me a place to store stuff out of the weather. I had mine made with doors on both ends, screens in the doors and windows with screens on both sides. The floor I bought from them lays on the ground and has a zip out area for the stove. I have been folding the floor in half and only covering half the floor where we sleep. I found this much easier to keep clean as everyone walks in and out of the front door with their boots on and not dragging mud and stuff inside.

Other things to keep around is some outdoor carpet as you can use that in or outside the tent. Also a large tarp to put down under the floor helps if the ground is frozen or you have shoveled snow out of the way for your tent.

Lots of things to consider when you buy one but I took the time and money and bought what I wanted the first time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a 12x12 Alaknak with a wood stove. I've used it for 4 total weeks in the CO high country over the last couple of years; it really works great.

It sleeps 4 easily on cots with the wood stove, but more would be pushing the comfort zone; it is absolutely perfect for 3 with the wood stove.

It has a floor, but I can see how the floorless wall tents would often be the way to go...