Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 2 Posts
    I camped next to some guys in Alaska that had the arctic ovens. I was very jealous of their set up.
    http://www.alaskatent.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell M. View Post
    Yeah still haven't decided on the floor or not, I have heard that it makes them much more difficult to set up. As for as weight savings not all that concerned about it being heavy. We're pretty set on a canvas tent. I've never seen the Alaknaks in person but I was sort of curious about them, whats the material like on them?
    They are made from heavy duty polyester. Weight and cost were important to me so I went with the alaknak. I wrote a comprehensive review of the alaknak here on eastmans. You can probably find it by searching for it if interested.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    I think you are on the right track. Go with the sizes you mentioned and do not get a sewed in floor. You can get the floor for the sleep tent from Montana Canvas and stake it in. It has a cut out for the wood burning stove. I would not want any floor in the cook tent. We also put carpet runners on the floor of the sleep tent. Makes it nice. Boots come off at the door. The best wood stove we've found is the Cylinder Stove. Everything fits inside and it will keep you toasty. We have had this set up for 30+ years. Great way to camp. One other thing we do is to put a tarp over the tent to aid with snow. Also, it hangs down far enough on the sides to stack wood under.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Imported Photos 00060.jpg   Imported Photos 00098.jpg  
    Last edited by bigmoose; 06-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Russell,
    Being that you are in Oregon I was going to point you toward Canvas Cabins in Hillsboro.

Turns out the company was purchased by a couple of gentlemen in MT.

I purchased one about 14 years ago and I spend about a month a year in mine.
    My advice, go into it just like a gun safe purchase. "Add about 20% to the size you think you want".
    If weight is not an issue go with a good canvas one IMO.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You don't want a sewn-in floor, trust me on this one. They are a pain in the butt! Hard to clean & keep clean. We stake down a tarp & have a canvas tent.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    I have an old canvas tent my dad bought 20 some years ago and it's still going strong, I believe it's a 16x18, he bought the connectors and built our own frame, we put a tarp under half of it for the floor and sleep 6 people pretty comfortable., then I have a cheap green canvas tent with an external frame that I will use if I'm packing in cause all the poles and tent I can fit on a horse easy. We have had them set up many different ways but this past year found a way that we like. They are door to door with a 6 foot gap in between them. In my picture the one on the left is all cooking and the one on right is sleeping, we use the 30 gal wood stove in the sleeping one and jus use the stoves in the cook shack to take the chill off. Since we only use our heavy canvas tent when we can drive to camp my dad is working on getting a heater out of a camper with a thermostat instead of having to stoke a fire all night. We go through tarps every year cause we usually end up using them for other things after hunting season. But even last year when we showed up with 2 inches of snow on the ground out floor was dry by end of night. Get a cheap pair I camp shoes and don't worry bout a floor. One good thing about the internal frame is hanging stuff off the side poles at night to save on floor space. Then get some of the roll up tables so when you don't need them they roll and fold an can be out of ur way

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    When it comes to wall tents, it's been my experience that floor-less is the way to go. It'll cut out some weight and they are WAY easier to set up and WAY easier to keep clean. If you want portions to be "clean floor", you can just take along a ground cloth or tarp. The sizes you're talking about should be sufficient for your needs with the cook shack. We'll run a 12x14 (sleep) and a 10x14 (cook) tent for 6 people and everyone stay's comfortable. Honestly, you just don't spend that much time inside of the tents unless the weather turns to crap on you.
    +1 on no floor. I have used both. A floor is not bad in a smaller tent with 1-2 guys but in a bigger one with more guys in it I would rather not have the floor.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, we're getting close to figuring it out I think and are going floorless.
    Bull Time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lots of good advice in this conversation. I bought a wall tent from Davis in colorado. 10x12 no floor.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I was going to go with the internal frame (more money) but they talked me out of it and I'm happy they did.
    Any reason other than weight? I've heard so many guys like the internal for lack of a center pole and the ability to hang stuff from it.