Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Looks like a sweet set up my brother got a 300 win mag savage hunter last year that hes getting set. Loves his

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    That's a long ways but that gun is totally capable of it and since your into longrange shooting and have practiced out to 800 you understand ballistics all you need to do is practice. Getting your elevation isn't the hard thing it's dealing with the wind is what I hate but practice makes perfect. Have fun and let us know how it goes.
    This is so true. I spend a lot if time at the range with my guns but in the end I will always get as close to a animal I'm hunting as I can. The wind has screwed me up on some coyotes in the passed and it's always a huge factor on the range and off. I've got a buddy at our local metal shop making some steel plates for me to get some long range shooting in when I get the gun back. Can't wait.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    This is so true. I spend a lot if time at the range with my guns but in the end I will always get as close to a animal I'm hunting as I can.
    For sure...there is no substitute for range time. That's the hardest lesson I ever learned in competition shooting. Since I saw the light many years ago, I have worn out several barrels and had to rebuild several of my competition guns. Good luck man, that is a really nice looking piece. Seems like all my great hunting rifles are on the heavy side too, but that's the price you pay to my way of thinking!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Colorado Cowboy,

Again, you're right on the money. There is no substitute for range time. And I agree with your great hunting rifles being heavy. I picked up a Pre-'64 Model 70 in .270 Win that I darn near bought. That rifle had to weigh 10 pounds.

I am really reconsidering my rifle choice for my upcoming elk hunt. In Nov of '12 I had my left shoulder surgically reconstructed and my right rotator cuff repaired last January. If I can strengthen my shoulders, I'll use my 10 pound 7MM Rem Mag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    Colorado Cowboy,

Again, you're right on the money. There is no substitute for range time. And I agree with your great hunting rifles being heavy. I picked up a Pre-'64 Model 70 in .270 Win that I darn near bought. That rifle had to weigh 10 pounds.

I am really reconsidering my rifle choice for my upcoming elk hunt. In Nov of '12 I had my left shoulder surgically reconstructed and my right rotator cuff repaired last January. If I can strengthen my shoulders, I'll use my 10 pound 7MM Rem Mag.
    I've had both shoulders worked on from old injuries playing college football, so I share your pain. My custom .300 Wby is pretty light for an old gun, weighs between 9 & 10 loaded. I had my smith put on a muzzle break which really helps when shooting it at the range. It screws on/off and I remove it when I hunting as it is really noisy. Don't notice the recoil when I'm hunting...too much adrenalin going.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    IKIC- If you ever get to south dakota bring your guns with we have a private range out to a 1000 with about 75 steel targets at the range set up all the way out to 1000. Its a great place to practice and have fun.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    IKIC- If you ever get to south dakota bring your guns with we have a private range out to a 1000 with about 75 steel targets at the range set up all the way out to 1000. Its a great place to practice and have fun.
    Sounds like one heck of a good time to me.

Thank you!
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    Colorado Cowboy,

I picked up a Pre-'64 Model 70 in .270 Win that I darn near bought. That rifle had to weigh 10 pounds.
    My pre 64 270 weighs about 9 1/4 with a Leupold scope and no ammo.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That sir, is a helluva rig. Congrats! I would wish you luck but I really don't think you'll need it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to micropterus79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very nice!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mule3006Elk For This Useful Post: