Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iraq.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Come on MM, our government looks the other way?? I don't believe it lol!! Sadly I truly believe if we want to keep Iraq the way WE made it the army could never leave. Sad but true , in my opinion for what that's worth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Possibly, but still I think it is better then letting everything we did get shot to hell like is happening now.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Musket Man is right about this being predictable, only it was predictable from the outset. Iraq was never going to stand on its own and even if it could have why let it? We have lots of blood and treasure there, I would never let the Iraq government set the rules. I have been through this in Viet Nam. We lost it all, 58,000 dead and all the treasure, we were simply out general. I spent three years in the 101st Airborne, 1960-1963 and three years in the Army Security Agency 1964- 1967. General Westmoreland, a good man, just did not have it right, never knew he was being out generaled, now come Obama, completely clueless. George Bush got some of it right but not near all.
    IMO we need to decide what we want and Musket Man is right, it will take renewed ground forces and lots of them should we decide to re capture Iraq. Obama doesn't even come close to being a commander in chief so retaking Iraq is out, best to prop up a new government and let it play out. One more thing, I have informed my grandsons they are to stay out of the military. One is currently serving, a marine, one in ROTC. This worries me badly. I know there are several on this forum that are serving and I thank you, I also worry for you. My brother served 38 years, a retired bird. Another retired Bird is a hunting partner, the two of them started the only sniper school other than the one in North Carolina and they are in complete agreement with my view.
    General Colin Powell had it right about going in with overwhelming force, and I might add a super kick A attitude. Rule of engagement will have to be modified too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xtreme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    I support the troops, with that said, we never should have went to Iraq in the first place. I didn't understand it than, I don't know. Iraq had nothing to do with 911, only the worst president in the history of USA had to finish dads job.

I know this won't be poplular, but oh well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I support the troops, with that said, we never should have went to Iraq in the first place. I didn't understand it than, I don't know. Iraq had nothing to do with 911, only the worst president in the history of USA had to finish dads job.

Have you been to Iraq?
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post

You're right, it ain't popular at all! I was going to stay out of this discussion but calling Bush Jr the worst president ever; with that a$$clown we have in there now is beyond belief.

I don't know if we should have went in there or not. I don't blindly swallow what the mass media is trying to feed everyone. Either way we did it and that can't be changed. If you commit to something you need to finish it. We can't be the world's police but we can't turn a blind eye to a situation that we helped create (not intentionally I know). We left a weak government in one of the most volatile regions in the world. Now innocent civilians are being killed including women and children and I feel it is our duty to help. In what manner and what scope I'll leave that to the people that are much smarter than me. We owe it to ourselves to stop ISIS while they are halfway around the world rather than our own backyard.

Just my opinion.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As I see it we have a great opportunity to eliminate alot of terrorists right now. We have an air craft carrier in the gulf, we have drones and surveillance flights running in Iraq, ISIS is where we can find alot of them, and Iraq is asking for help. All that is needed is the green light. Even without actually putting boots on the ground we could hurt ISIS real bad real fast from the air. They come from the same Al Qaeda bunch that attacked us on 9/11 and we have been fighting ever since. ISIS is so bad that Al Qaeda doesnt even want them anymore. I just cant understand not going after them and I dont like giving them the idea that we wont go after them. I also cant believe our president saying he doesnt want to do air strikes because it would make it look like we were taking a side and is against other countries taking military action against ISIS. I didnt know there was any question as to what side we were on. I dont like Syria but doing air strikes on ISIS seems like the first decent thing they have done. The problem I see with other countries like Syria and Iran is the ones that help are the ones that will have influence on Iraq. A few weeks ago he bypassed congress and illegally released 5 terrorists, now he doesnt want to bomb terrorists or make them think we are taking a side. Mr president and secretary of defense I would really like to know what side YOU are on!!!
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was reading a book about the Berlin wall a while ago, and some of the stuff in that book has some lessons learned or not maybe. The tone of the book seemed to say that if Kennedy would have stood up to Khrushchev before they started to build the fence and close off the border, the Cuban missile crisis wouldn't have followed, then possibly even shortened the cold war. East Germany would have gone through a collapse pretty quickly. USSR was bluffing about a lot of stuff, but that is 20/20 hindsight. That would have sucked for my grandma and her family, but I don't think it was great there anyway. Anyway my point is Obama didn't follow through with his red-line in Syria, didn't do much that worked in Ukraine that I know of, and now is not doing enough maybe in Iraq. Its kindof a green light for anything goes, and pretty soon our backs will be up against a wall and then we will have to do something. I'm not trying to blame Kennedy or anything, just trying to tie some history in for discussion on what to do in the present (trying to follow xtreme there).
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 06-27-2014 at 08:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It is complicated. Did you notice, the Iraq soldiers laying down their weapons the being beheaded? Must be a lesson in that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    Did you notice, the Iraq soldiers laying down their weapons the being beheaded? Must be a lesson in that.
    Im really surprised at how so many of them deserted. Maybe they were a different bunch in other areas but the ones I worked with in Bagdad might have been alot of things but they hated the insurgents and they were fighters and I couldnt see any of them giving up or running from ISIS.

http://rt.com/news/168916-isis-iraq-war-crimes/
    Keystone 1, Over!