Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Wyoming Elk General Tag

So I'm looking at the Elk 2014 Draw odds and I have a question. I have 6 points now and 7 points going into 2015, is it possible for me to get a general tag as a 2nd choice rifle or archery and save my points? All help is appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    So I'm looking at the Elk 2014 Draw odds and I have a question. I have 6 points now and 7 points going into 2015, is it possible for me to get a general tag as a 2nd choice rifle or archery and save my points? All help is appreciated. Thanks
    A darn good chance you would draw a general tag as a second choice IF you pay for the special license.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Yep, more than a darn good chance as UH stated, as everyone has always drawn that tag as a second choice in the Special Draw, although the stats don't show it, and a couple years ago even some that had it as a third choice drew when the second choice pool was exhausted and there were still some tags left. It will not be drawn if you put in for the lower price regular draw. FYI if you draw that tag it is strictly for the rifle season in all the general units, but you can hunt with your bow then with no further permits needed. In order to hunt them with a bow outside those rifle season dates you would need to then buy a $30 archery permit for the early bow season dates in September. Wyoming does have a few units where there are tags strictly to hunt with a bow and they are designated as A/O (archery only) on the unit lists. Everyone, regardless of what season or what you hunt with, is required to purchase a $12.50 Conservation Stamp.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-25-2014 at 06:28 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have seen this mentioned a couple of times on different forums, but have never been able to find the statistics to back it up. What odds are you guys looking at to determine that you can draw it 2nd choice special?

From the drawing odds on the Wyoming Game and Fish website: in the special draw for the general tag this year 1088 people put in with 0 points as 1st choice, 697 people drew in the PP draw. This left 391 1st choice applicants for 386 tags in the random draw. So as I read the stats, 5 people who put in 1st choice special with 0 points didn't draw, and none of the 468 people who put in as 2nd choice special drew. I must be missing something, I apologize in advance for my ignorance!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CM_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CM_ View Post
    I have seen this mentioned a couple of times on different forums, but have never been able to find the statistics to back it up. What odds are you guys looking at to determine that you can draw it 2nd choice special?

From the drawing odds on the Wyoming Game and Fish website: in the special draw for the general tag this year 1088 people put in with 0 points as 1st choice, 697 people drew in the PP draw. This left 391 1st choice applicants for 386 tags in the random draw. So as I read the stats, 5 people who put in 1st choice special with 0 points didn't draw, and none of the 468 people who put in as 2nd choice special drew. I must be missing something, I apologize in advance for my ignorance!
    It's not ignorance on your part! It's because the G&F doesn't post the entire process in that draw odds section of the website. As I stated in my earlier post, the stats we're able to look at and that you quoted do not show that everyone got the general tag on their second choice because they just show the completed initial draws. After those initial draws we're looking at are done, if the G&F hasn't issued the minimum total number of elk tags the statute requires to NRs, they go back into the Special Draw pool and issue the number required as General tags. Every year so far they have had to issue quite a few more tags to meet that minimum number and to do that they fill the Special Draw second choice requests. A couple years ago there were even a decent number tags issued to third choice applicants to get up to that minimum number. It just depends on how many tags they have to issue to get to that minimum number required to be issued to NRs each year. So far they have had enough tags to satisfy all second choice Special draw requests. Each year the percentage will depend on how many tags need to be issued after the initial draws to get to that minimum number and how many requests there are left in that second choice draw pool. Right now it's been 100%, but in the next few years it is possible it could drop below that. However, it should stay up at or near the 100% figure unless some drastic changes happen.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So to look at the actual chance of drawing the tag Special 2nd choice one would have to find the number of minimum total elk tags the state requires to NRs, and subtract the total number of elk tags issued from this required number? (then compare the remaining number of tags to how many people applied 2nd choice special)

That is a very interesting "loop hole". Just out of curiosity, off the top of your head do you know if they publish information/numbers on this process anywhere? I looked through the WGFD regulations but didn't find anything.

Thanks, a lot! No one has ever laid out exactly how that works.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CM_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CM_ View Post
    So to look at the actual chance of drawing the tag Special 2nd choice one would have to find the number of minimum total elk tags the state requires to NRs, and subtract the total number of elk tags issued from this required number? (then compare the remaining number of tags to how many people applied 2nd choice special)

That is a very interesting "loop hole". Just out of curiosity, off the top of your head do you know if they publish information/numbers on this process anywhere? I looked through the WGFD regulations but didn't find anything.

Thanks, a lot! No one has ever laid out exactly how that works.
    I guess the basic answer to your first question would be yes if you wanted to take the time to go through every unit in the draw odds and totaled up the number of tags issued to then subtract that total from the minimum number they have to issue. However, you can't then just go to the second choice pool unless there were no first choice applicants left that didn't get tags. The G&F would satisfy all those applicants before the went to the second choice pool and then possibly the third choice pool like they did a couple years ago. Doing what you're saying really would be a waste of time IMHO because the following year will be different, although somewhat similar. All you really need to know is what I mentioned in my earlier posts.

It's not really a loophole, but rather that most people just don't know why all those second choice applicants are getting tags when the list on the site shows what it does and would make them ask the exact question(s) you are! No, there is nothing on the website anywhere that speaks to what we're talking about. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact number of NR tags the statute requires to be issued each year. WapitiBob or someone else that knows may read this and be able to answer that question. Yes, you should be able to get that other draw information that I mentioned from the G&F Licensing Section, but it would be of no use and probably why they don't show that final pass to issue those tags because you would either know you were successful or not on your private account as soon as they post the draw results in February. That information, just like all the other draw odds, would vary from year to year and really isn't much use other than to know what I've stated is how those extra tags get issued. Looking at the draw odds is helpful, but you can't truly rely on them when you apply because you have no idea how many people will apply for a given tag in any one year with a certain number of PPs, especially with people that have banked PPs suddenly jumping into the draw process that you might not have figured on or changing their choices from year to year when they dont get drawn the preceeding year. Thus what is called point creep in the draw process that we are seeing more of as we're now into eight years of the NR PP method.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys for the informative conversation on this topic. I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    Thanks guys for the informative conversation on this topic. I appreciate it.
    So will your check to me be in the mail tomorrow, LOL?!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    So will your check to me be in the mail tomorrow, LOL?!!!
    I tell you what if you come out to California I will take you Duck or pheasant hunting. that's gotta be better than money.