Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 38 Antelope Wyoming?

My fellow hunters,

This my first post for Eastmans!

I was recently drawn for Antelope in unit 38, I am a non-resident from Arizona and this will be our first time hunting Wyoming. We had a rancher that was going to allow us to hunt on his land, the arrangement fell through due to some personal issues he is dealing with. I am now in scramble mode trying to find a rancher/private land for us to come hunt on. Unfortunately living in AZ, I don't have the luxury of talking to local folks to try and arrange something. Any help or guidance would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 10 Posts
    chasingcoues,

Thanks for joining. Please go over to the new members section and introduce yourself. I grew up in Laramie and have some good information for you if your interested. Take a look at my profile photos- all 3 antelope were taken in the newly reformed area 38 on public land opening day. After your introduction, send me a PM and I'll give you a hand.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingcoues View Post
    My fellow hunters,

This my first post for Eastmans!

I was recently drawn for Antelope in unit 38, I am a non-resident from Arizona and this will be our first time hunting Wyoming. We had a rancher that was going to allow us to hunt on his land, the arrangement fell through due to some personal issues he is dealing with. I am now in scramble mode trying to find a rancher/private land for us to come hunt on. Unfortunately living in AZ, I don't have the luxury of talking to local folks to try and arrange something. Any help or guidance would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks!
    I'd call the warden for that unit. They are usually pretty on top of who will grant access.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah I did, they gave me a list of 5 ranchers, one disconnected line and four that were either booked or furious from all the calls they have been getting! Lol. So that was a bust, still trying all angles.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I'll be honest about 38 and the phone calls. I first started looking at that unit when they merged it all together thinking that I may get lucky and draw it as a 2nd choice. I started calling back in December and most of them were already booked then. I had a bigger list than 5 though. And a few were pissy for sure. I ended up using my points on the unit I wanted and didn't even put a 2nd choice. I ordered all of the maps for unit 38 and the surrounding areas from the BLM office. The public land is sparse, but its there according to the BLM maps .Some of it may be blocked by gates from my research however. I still think you will have a great hunt. Just buy the gps landowner chip if you haven't already. And talk to Hilltop above, he's offering some advice and I'd take it if in were you. Good luck man.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I noticed there is chunks of BLM all over, is it typically hard to get to these parts with your vehicle?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    It all depends if there is a public road going to them. many smaller roads are closed where they cross private land and its really hard to tell until you get there unless you know someone like Hilltop that knows the area.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingcoues View Post
    I noticed there is chunks of BLM all over, is it typically hard to get to these parts with your vehicle?
    A vast majority of BLM/State land is going to be inaccessible to public hunters as the sections must have a public road slicing through them as noted above. There are very few public roads leading into the interior of 38. Some of the roads may look like main roads on a map, when in fact they are private roads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    A vast majority of BLM/State land is going to be inaccessible to public hunters as the sections must have a public road slicing through them as noted above. There are very few public roads leading into the interior of 38. Some of the roads may look like main roads on a map, when in fact they are private roads.

This is exactly what a lot of newbie hunters find out when they get out to Wyoming and other western states on a first hunt. The reason they redid the units and made that entire area all into unit 38 is because there is almost no acccessible public ground and the G&F is somewhat relying on the individual ranchers to do the game management in that area. From what I've heard through the grapevine, if it works out they may do that with more antelope units where it's predominantly private land. I'm a little on the negative side of doing that, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    This is exactly what a lot of newbie hunters find out when they get out to Wyoming and other western states on a first hunt. The reason they redid the units and made that entire area all into unit 38 is because there is almost no acccessible public ground and the G&F is somewhat relying on the individual ranchers to do the game management in that area. From what I've heard through the grapevine, if it works out they may do that with more antelope units where it's predominantly private land. I'm a little on the negative side of doing that, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.
    I agree Top Gun. It also turned an easy to get tag with left overs every year into a tag you had to draw. To me this means that more hunters will be concentrated on what little public is available. Drawing an HMA tag is may be important now.