Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I agree Top Gun. It also turned an easy to get tag with left overs every year into a tag you had to draw. To me this means that more hunters will be concentrated on what little public is available. Drawing an HMA tag is may be important now.
    Combining areas is a bad move by the G&F. It will inevitably funnel more hunters into what little publically accessible land is available in the larger area. The public areas will get shot up quick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Combining areas is a bad move by the G&F. It will inevitably funnel more hunters into what little publically accessible land is available in the larger area. The public areas will get shot up quick.
    That is probably true and was my main concern when I found out what G&F was doing. I guess they figure that there isn't enough public ground in 38 after they combined the units and that it won't take long for people to figure out that a decent hunt will only be had by getting onto a ranch. That would help the ranchers, but it will also cause a lot of average Joes that can't afford that to either quit hunting or have a lousy hunt on what little public land they can access legally.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You boys are making me nervous! Tell me if I am wrong though, when I look at a BLM land for the newly constructed Unit 38, I see block areas of public land right off some main highways. Can I not just park the truck, get out and hunt these areas? I understand that some of the public areas are landlocked by all private land, but there does seem to be some opportunities to hunt public land off some of the main highways.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 10 Posts
    Yes, those are the ones I hunted last year. We found driveways to park so we were not just sitting on the side of the highway. What the boys are discussing is that there may be more people hunting those spots this year... hope not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can't tell you guys how helpful y'all have been! I plan on de boning the meat and packing it in a cooler, checking it in on the plane and bringing it home. However, I can't have any ice or dry ice in the cooler when I get it on the plane. Do you guys have any good tips on keeping the meet frozen/cold enough for travel?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingcoues View Post
    I can't tell you guys how helpful y'all have been! I plan on de boning the meat and packing it in a cooler, checking it in on the plane and bringing it home. However, I can't have any ice or dry ice in the cooler when I get it on the plane. Do you guys have any good tips on keeping the meet frozen/cold enough for travel?
    If you can freeze it before flying it would be best. Once frozen, wrap packages in newspaper and pack tightly in a cooler that can be tapped shut and sealed. Hopefully security doen't cut it open to inspect. It will stay frozen like this for a day or two. Your other option is to have it processed in Laramie and then shipped back... guessing it would cost you a pretty penny in shipping but processing is cheap out there. I do all my own so I don't have anyone to recommend there. I would call around to hotels until you find one willing to let you use their freezer to freeze your meat.

I'm sure there are others that fly with meat that can offer you better advice...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I talked to a processor near Wheatland last year just to get an idea of how it would work logistically if we were to fly. They told me that they would process our meat and have it packed into our coolers, wrapped, in time for our flight departure. At which point we would check them as extra luggage. I'm sure that would be over $100 per cooler. But still probably cheaper than shipping.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, I received my BLM maps this week, does the whole 52 mile stretch of HWY 34 hold Antelope? I notice there are some terrain changes as you head further from the 287.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 5 Posts
    Most of it does, the parts that hold the least is through Sybille canyon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 1 Post
    Me and a buddy made our 1st trip to WY 3 years ago and hunted Unit 39. Which I'm guessing is now part of the newly formed Unit 38. We found a decent size chunk of BLM, camped out, filled all 5 tags, and were gone in less than 3 days. It was a blast. Just bought another pref pt. Hoping to get back to WY in a few years.