Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow Weight Preference?

I'm curious what other guys are shooting?

Bow draw weight?
    Total Arrow Weight?

When I first started bowhunting I liked the idea of a lighter arrow, flatter trajectory, but as I shot more I liked how a slightly heavier arrow was shooting out of my bow, I shoot carbon tech arrows, I started with whitetail, but now prefer the rhino.

I'm currently shooting 63# from a 70# max bow, I plan to probably increase that as I begin shooting more often. (I should shoot year round, but I don't, just being honest.)

My total arrow weight is 430gr, 100gn BH + 330gn arrow shaft.

From my perspective, it seems as if these slightly heavier rhino arrows I have been shooting buck the wind better and hold tighter groups esp in the wind. Also I like the idea of greater momentum of an arrow hitting an animal.

I think I'm answering my own question here, but I guess I just want to make sure I'm not TOO heavy or TOO light.

I certainly welcome any personal insight/preference, arrow weights, bow weight, etc...

Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HuskyMusky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Bowtech Invasion @ 74lb DW

502 gr total arrow weight with a 125 gr BH.

I like the weight. When I got away from lighter arrows I started shooting better. Its probably just me, but it seemed to work. The first doe I shot with this set up sold me too. She was broad side at 25 yards. I shot and seen the arrow sink true, but heard a nasty thwack. She ran about 15 yards and stopped. Stumbled and expired. I got down and went to look for my arrow and couldn't find it anywhere. Went to the deer and it was a complete pass thru - double lung. I had my friend come down the mountain (Ohio mountain haha) and help me drag. After telling the above story he said "I seen your arrow on my way down man". So he took me back to about where the doe was standing and it was buried in a tree really deep. About half of the broad head deep. I dug it out and have been shooting the heavy set ups ever since. The 2nd deer was a brute of an 8 point. He was slightly quartering to me at 15 yards and I missed left about an inch and got that front shoulder. Crushed it at kept on trucking out the other sides rib cage and down through the woods. Took me 4-5 months before I stumbled across that arrow.

You know that 430 gr set up isn't that light wither though. Especially for 63lbs. That's probably optimal if your spine is correct for your DL and weight. Good luck and sorry for rambling!!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Too light would be around 300 grains total weight. 430 is mid-high range for your set up in my opinion.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input.

Cobble: I heard that loud thwack this past fall on a whitetail buck, also had a complete pass through/stuck in the dirt, buck also went 30yds and dropped dead.

I'm pretty sure I'll keep my arrows as is, and shoot more often and get up to 65-70#
    I'm in no rush to shoot heavier draw though, I want it to be comfortable and able to hold for a while.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No problem! Comfortable is much more important than draw weight. I am blessed with a tremendous amount of upper body strength. I could go heavier if I wanted. I am also blessed with a huge beer gut and can't run more than a mile anymore haha. Need to fix that part
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm shooting 453 grains at 70# draw from an Insanity CPX. I shot a mule deer last year at 23 yards at a very steep downhill angle. I literally rolled the deer down the hill. Punched through one shoulder and half way through the other. I have a good feeling that if I hadn't shot at such a steep angle it would have been a pass through, but it looked like it deflected a little due to the angle on the offside shoulder. Anyway, they hit really hard. I'm only shooting a 100gr head as well. I think I have a good mix of weight and speed as of right now and am not planning on changing my setup anytime soon.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    I am shooting 70# arrow wt 473gr A good combination for 28" draw.. 125gr Slicktrick broadhead.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    Shooting a Beman MFX 28 inches, 100 grain Slick Trick Magnum at 436 grains out of a Hoyt Faktor Turbo at 68 lbs. gives me plenty of speed and still have that down range punch. I like a heavier arrow for when maybe that shot wasn't quiet perfect and maybe you might get those few extra inches of penetration to make a difference.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 5 Posts
    Shooting 80# with a 470 grain arrow. Works well for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Draw weight 66Lbs.

I like my arrows to weigh about 400 to 425. Good flat trajectory and still hits hard.