Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm shooting a 72# Carbon Overdrive with 460 gr Easton FMJ's. My #1 arrow has passed thru two does and a bull elk.
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm the odd man out. :-)
    I shoot regularly and practice out to 150 yards, although I never attempt big game at said distance. It simply makes >80 yard shots feel like driving "push pins" :-)

I did shoot a nice 10 pt at 53 yds and my doe at 67 yards this fall. Recovery was less than 50 yds. Additionally, my profile picture is a turkey I took this past turkey season at 74 yds.
    I shoot a 29" Hoyt Spyder Turbo at 72lb. I shoot 355gr Easton Hexx sticks. Flatter trajectory for distance shooting, less "doping"/more accurate in hunting situations, and I've had nothing but pass throughs. Bumping the arrow weight up to about 385 would give me +1KE, but the speed drop would be 3-4fps so I've just left it as is for now. Yeah, I'm a numbers junky, but I do test the theories and use what works for me. When I go after elk (hope next year), I'll change this setup just a little.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm shooting 525 grain (total arrow weight) out of PSE Omen, tipped with a 125 slick trick magnum.
    It really hammers them!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bonecollector:

What kind of site setup you use for the long distances? I've got a 7 pin from 30 to 90 but I suppose I could space farther. Don't know how much room I have to lower the set

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How fortuitous Husky started this thread. I just got my bow back from the shop a couple days ago after getting a brand spankin' new set of Winner's choice cables and strings. With that, my draw weight increased from around 58 lbs. up to 63 which is good except I was solidly within the 400 spine range and now I'm on the line betwen 400 and 350. I know most archers are going tell me to error on the side of a heavier spine and therefore a heavier arrow and I understand why but here is the problem; I can consistently put three broadheads in 3" x 3" sticky notes taped to my target at 20 and 30 yds and I never had to adjust anything from shooting field points so I am a little afraid to change anything at this point without hearing some compelling and practical reasons why.

Current set up: Bear archery domain, 63# dw, 27.5" arrows which are Victory V3's (400 spine) and 100 gr points (using monotech broadheads). All in all the arrow mass totals appx. 343 gr. All else being equal, a 350 spine will total about 359 gr. This is still quite a bit under what I am seeing on these other posts but I guess my arrow length and draw are shorter.

I wish I had some cool stories about how this set up has brought down some game but this is my first year archery hunting so I am seeking advice on whether or not to up the arrow mass/increase spine stiffness or leave well enough alone for now.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice on this one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you're on the cusp in spine weight, you wil be fine with your current arrows. All things considered, spine is least important (in this case). I know some will argue, but I've done the testing. :-) Physics do not lie. Same is the case in arrow weight. You must find the point of diminishing return and your set.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use an HHA single pin (0.10). I am shooting out to 150 yds. I'd never taken game that far, but dropping dear at 75 yards is a "near knife fight". (in the correct situation) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepymoewi View Post
    Bonecollector:

What kind of site setup you use for the long distances? I've got a 7 pin from 30 to 90 but I suppose I could space farther. Don't know how much room I have to lower the set

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just some data for discussion; everyone has their opinion on what works and why. I happen to like numbers and self testing. :-)

Assuming a 30" draw set at 70lb, your packing 110 ft/lb of KE. NICE! However your speed is only 307 ft/sec. out of a 366 ft/sec bow.

Just a thought:
    Reducing the arrow weight to 400 gr = 105 ft/lb KE with a speed of 344ft/sec (I'd use this arrow on anything bigger than a whitetail-diminishing return)
    Reducing the arrow weight to 350 gr = 100 ft/lb KE with a speed of 359ft/sec (Give up too much KE for the speed on larger game like ELK)

(You can drive through any large game with a mere 66 ft/lb KE) All of the above arrows will do the job.

Theoretically, you could reduce arrow weight and increase speed, thus assist in shot estimation (as in flatter shooting). Also helpful at longer distances on those pesky antelope that won't stand still.
    KE = speed * speed * weight (grains) / 450,240

Shot placement and a good broadhead are key. Arrows do not have a knock down factor...unless you spine an animal.

Looking forward to other's opinions and why. I'm always wanting to learn to become better.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
    I'm shooting 525 grain (total arrow weight) out of PSE Omen, tipped with a 125 slick trick magnum.
    It really hammers them!
    Last edited by Bonecollector; 07-09-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not a numbers junkie, but I know that I have center punched a rib on a mature bull at 80 yards & got a complete pass thru & quick kill.
    I also shot much better groups when I switched to the heavy setup.
    This is just what I've found works best for me where I hunt.
    (It was a lot of fun though with my lighter setup target shooting at 150 yards !)

11. The Following User Says Congratulations to ultramag For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is a simple KE calculator for those that are interested.

http://www.1728.org/energy.htm