Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would you ever bring a gun & bow on the same hunt?

Would you ever bring a gun & bow on the same hunt?

or do you think picking 1 or the other prior to the hunt is the way to go?

on the other hand it would be better to have your rifle there if you wanted/needed one vs. not having it, but going into a hunt half hardily seems like you might be setting yourself up for disappointment, esp if the 1 shot chance you get you could have killed with a rifle but only had a bow in hand.

btw I'm referring to 1 specific hunt/season, not a hunt where, you could hunt prior to rifle season with a bow, and then switch over to a gun during rifle season, I'm talking the same/open/all weapons allowed type of season/hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have....many times. Its all situational though. I didn't rifle hunt for 7 years or so until last season. I got to where I was only hunting with my bow. But a lot of times, when I was rifle hunting, I had 2 sets or more on the same property. Some were in some pretty thick areas where I would only use my bow. Others aloud for further shots and I'd have my rifle with me to hunt them if the wind wasn't right in the thick sets, and vice versa. I have even had them both in the stand with me a few times. My main rifle has a 4.5x14 pwr scope and inside of about 25 yards it can be hard to get on the target very quickly.

Now, having said that. Its a pain in the butt taking both sometimes. A bow takes up a pretty decent profile, especially when its cased. And I look like Sanford and Son when I go hunting as it is. If I'm already taking the bow like it sounds from you above. Then adding a rifle isn't an issue. Adding a bow sometimes can be because of the room it takes up and such. Good luck!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I have plans to go on a caribou hunt a few years from now. I will for sure bring both. I intend on harvesting one with my rifle first and then trying a second with a bow. The outfitter I have been speaking to says this is fairly common for guys to do this up there. In general I don't think this is a good idea but for a hunt where you may only go once in your life...may as well try to do both.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    I've done it but hunted bow season one week and rifle season the next. For me, I might take a bow during rifle season but generally I'll use my rifle. Most of the time it is too much weight for me to cary both
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    I took my bow with me during rifle season last year, and had my rifle in my eberlestock scabbard, ended up shooting my buck with my rifle and decided to ditch the bow, but I also hunt bow season so I wasn't to set on using my bow only, sometimes if I'm in thick cover I'll carry my bow, cause I've had missed opportunities with my rifle and not seeing them in the scope good enough or them being to close and just seeing a hair patch and not knowing for sure what part it is

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm packing my rifle and bow at the same time this year. Well, once anyway. Might be kind of a pain. I'll have an archery Elk tag and a bear tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    On any hunt that allows any legal weapon im packin a rifle. If Im hunting during a season that I have a buck and doe tag with each method I will occasionally take both but when I hunt I want as much of an advantage as I can get. I want a dead animal when I hunt and when its allowed ill always choose a rifle

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm a bowhunter.......I have nothing against firearm hunters.....I've just never hunted animals with anything but a bow and arrow. It's all I know. So, no I would not take both.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used to frequently. Situation was I could legally harvest a doe with a bow during firearm season. I was hunting fixed stand locations so it was easy enough to hang a rifle on the tree while in the stand in case a buck was seen out of range.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have done it, archery elk and High Cascade deer at the same time. One day I was packing both, nearly got a buck but was too slow getting the rifle off the shoulder, late that morning shot a bull with the bow.