Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel break in

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

barrel break in

ok, .308 howa 1500.... new gun never fired..... whats proper break in prodo for this rifel? says to shot clean shoot clean shoot clean for first 20 or so shots, is this not a little rediculous? any proper way or is there really any one way as long as it gets cleaned after day of shooting and not after every shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    ok, .308 howa 1500.... new gun never fired..... whats proper break in prodo for this rifel? says to shot clean shoot clean shoot clean for first 20 or so shots, is this not a little rediculous? any proper way or is there really any one way as long as it gets cleaned after day of shooting and not after every shot.
    I usually only do about 1/2 of that...10 shots.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Shoot, clean - COOL. 20 shots, takes about 4 hours normally. Heat is the biggest enemy of rifle barrels.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    There has been some gunsmiths that have told me they never break in there barrels,that is a custom barrel and they clean it when done with the build but you can take that how u want. I use to shoot clean shoot clean five times then shoot clean 3 times then shoot clean once. There are so many different things on clean a barrel, i think its just mainly cleaning out any shavings that would still be in there from the factory but not an expert on it. just my .02 cents

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thank you guys, friend of mine bought this gun and when i read that i was shocked, i allways let gun cool after every 3 shots usualy anyway. i will deff follow advise given from yall, thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would recommend getting a really good bore guide and a high quality rod before starting your cleaning. The bore guide made by Mike Lucas is very good. It keeps the rod from making unwanted contact with the throat of the bore. There are web sites dedicated to shooting that have some good info on this subject. Using the wrong cleaning technique / procedure / equipment can do significant harm to your rifle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LaHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wouldn't put too much into "break-in" I would clean after 5 shots for the first twenty (While you are sighting in, load developing, practicing, etc.) Then clean as needed.

Some barrel makers say it is important, some don't. I remember a Barsness article years ago where he compared a strict regimented break-in process with no break-in at all and found no appreciable difference in performance, other than the broke in barrel showed more throat erosion.

I don't worry about it. YMMV.

I am with LaHunter on the bore guide and quality rod. I think improper cleaning does much more damage than shooting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    whats your thoughts on the bore snakes?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They are ok for getting powder residue, but nothing takes the place of a good scrubbing.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is a very good subject. I've never broke in a barrel on my new guns. I just shot & cleaned them. Right or wrong? I've never had any issues.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member