Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barrel break in

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    This is a very good subject. I've never broke in a barrel on my new guns. I just shot & cleaned them. Right or wrong? I've never had any issues.
    The first shot will be the best shot out of a barrel, from there on out it's just gonna be wear and tear. Just keep it clean using a good bore guide and rod, and don't over heat it and you'll be fine. I've build dozens of customs with the help of my Uncle and I've never worried about this shoot 5 then clean for 25-30 rounds crap!! Good luck Ivory!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I wouldn't put too much into "break-in" I would clean after 5 shots for the first twenty (While you are sighting in, load developing, practicing, etc.) Then clean as needed.

Some barrel makers say it is important, some don't. I remember a Barsness article years ago where he compared a strict regimented break-in process with no break-in at all and found no appreciable difference in performance, other than the broke in barrel showed more throat erosion.

I don't worry about it. YMMV.

I am with LaHunter on the bore guide and quality rod. I think improper cleaning does much more damage than shooting.
    I'm with Bitterroot!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    i have also heard that the break in process started many many years ago from barrel makers saying thats what needs to be done and it has just been the thing to do for a long time now. I am totally with BB and woodtick shoot it then clean it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    thanks for all the input fellas

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm glad this came up. I have a custom build at the smith now and will be breaking in soon.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    I am having a ballistics "expert" develop some loads for my .300wsm. The rifle is new and never fired. He told me to buy cheap factory ammo and fire three rounds then run a patch or two down the barrel and repeat until I fire two boxes through it. At that point I can start shooting for accuracy. Not sure if that's needed but sounds good lol. Only thing is I can't find cheap ammo lol.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    i have also heard that the break in process started many many years ago from barrel makers saying thats what needs to be done and it has just been the thing to do for a long time now. I am totally with BB and woodtick shoot it then clean it.
    Totally with BB and Woodtick.

Stay away from boresnakes. The fouling it pulls out of your barrel stay stuck in it so every time you run it down your barrel you are redistributing the crap in the snake. I keep one in my pack in case I get something in my barrel.

One other important note is don't over clean your barrel. After a good cleaning most barrels take somewhere around 10 shots to develop the best accuracy. I don't believe cleaning your barrel is really necessary as frequently as most people do it. I clean mine once a year now that I have my load development done.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've never broke in a barrel and haven't seen wear for the worse... Although I'm not an authority to write there isn't merit to it. I am 100% with other posters regarding quality bore guide and rod. Would venture to guess FAR more damage to rifling from poor cleaning technique than overshooting a barrel out of the box.

I'm with the minority with squirrelduster on not over cleaning. The fact is most shooters can't shoot appreciably better with clean vs dirty barrel. Same can be said of shooting factory vs home reloading... But that's a different discussion.
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    whats your thoughts on the bore snakes?
    Are we talking about the Otis Cleaning system? Or the actual bore snake labelled system? I have the Otis system and I can't see where you would do any damage with it.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Are we talking about the Otis Cleaning system? Or the actual bore snake labelled system? I have the Otis system and I can't see where you would do any damage with it.
    Boresnake is not a system, but a pull through with a brush at the front. Otis has just introduced a product called Ripcord that is a pull through with the brush incorporated into a hard rubber jag (for lack of a better term) covered with Nomex. I have been using these in a couple of calibers since the first of the year, and am very pleased with the results.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA