Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I am sure there are enough fringe lunatic animal rights people to buy "hundreds of thousands" of wolf stamps. They have forums dedicated to anti hunting topics. Many of these uninformed morons will buy these stamps from out of state to support the "cause". These people are just as dedicated as we are so don't mistake stupidity for lack of effort.
    I would rather continue to support wildlife without their money, we have been doing it for over a century already. I agree that if you let them help fund the system they will have a larger audience within the system.
    Last edited by In God We Trust; 07-03-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I would rather continue to support wildlife without their money, we have been doing it for over a century already.
    I agree 100% but the problem is tag sales are way down in some states due to wolves, price increases, and lack of hunting opportunity and these states are desperate to balance their budget any way they can.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    MM just hit on some of the problems. Are you guys ready to pay a lot more for your licenses and other fees to make up for the budget problems Montana has and that other states also are experiencing? It would appear that's the one thing the antis have over us because they sink millions into their causes while we whine about our game departments wanting to raise tag fees a few bucks to make ends meet. IMHO we are our own worst enemy because we talk the talk and don't walk the walk. Montana raised NR fees and now can't sell all their tags while the resident fees are so low as to be ridiculous. Wyoming where I hunt every year can't even get a small increase passed even though resident fees are also ridiculously low like Montana. Somebody has to pay to keep all of our G&F departments running and if we don't do it ourselves we leave things wide open for others to step in and fill the void.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They cant sell the tags because 1)they are to high, and 2) they have alot less to offer now. Idaho has lost money every year since they raised their prices. I believe MT has too. Im not paying $600 for a general deer tag when deer numbers are way down. At about $600 for the deer elk combo like it used to be I would be there every other year or so even if there were less deer and elk. There is a limit to what we will pay and right now I feel my money is much better spent in states other then Montana. They have put themselves in this position so I dont really feel bad for them.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    They cant sell the tags because 1)they are to high, and 2) they have alot less to offer now. Idaho has lost money every year since they raised their prices. I believe MT has too. Im not paying $600 for a general deer tag when deer numbers are way down. At about $600 for the deer elk combo like it used to be I would be there every other year or so even if there were less deer and elk. There is a limit to what we will pay and right now I feel my money is much better spent in states other then Montana. They have put themselves in this position so I dont really feel bad for them.

Then don't complain when others step in that you don't like and take up the slack! It's reallly that simple. We either pay the price it takes to run the Fish & Game Departments or take the risk that others will and their interests differ greatly from ours.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Then don't complain when others step in that you don't like and take up the slack! It's reallly that simple. We either pay the price it takes to run the Fish & Game Departments or take the risk that others will and their interests differ greatly from ours.
    Negative TG! FPW has been selling us out for years and is 1/2 way in bed with the antis already. They should have listened to hunters years ago instead of sitting on the fence and letting our hunting go to #$*#. I went to 1 of the last court hearings before the wolves were delisted and it took me over a 1/2 hour of listening to it to figure out what side was what. That really tells you alot right there and who they have been fighting for or not all along!
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    You can't fund a whole damn state on 10% of the hunters Topgun! They want NR to fund the whole thing. There is a breaking point where people can't afford it. For a non-resident to hunt deer it cost him/her 36.25 times as much as a resident. I don't care that it is a "combination" license that let's you fish or hunt upland game. That's like the cable and satellite providers making you buy a package where you only watch 10% of the channels. It's a rip-off making you pay for something you don't use. For elk it gets even better: it's 41.3 times more than a resident. I'm not bashing any Montana residents just the thinking of the people in charge. How can there not be a shortage of money with so few paying any considerable amount?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://wyofile.com/geoffrey/its-goin...sh-in-wyoming/

I know its not Montana, but I thought it was a good article about some of the money issues.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MT's tag sales problem started when they did away with the outfitter tags and raised the NR price so they would make the same money. The only problem was alot of NR's, myself included, thought it was to high and stopped applying.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't disagree that Montana NR prices suck more than all the other states. I also don't agree with the disparity of fees between residents and NRs in all the states and have stated such. Montana is probably the worst and I again agree that the way they make you buy things you don't need or want sucks. The other states all have their little gimmicks with PP fees, having to buy a hunting license that's nonrefundable just to apply for a tag with a snowballs chance in he** that you'll be able to draw it, etc. For sure there is no way that the states are going to be able to ride on the backs of NRs if they don't have something to offer that's worth the price that people are willing to pay. Idaho and Montana have found that out and I'm sure other state's G&F people are watching and wondering how to bail themselves out before they go in the red. The huge disparity between residents and NR fees should have never started in the first place, especially when a NR is going to hunt on Federal lands. Wyoming couldn't get even a very small license increase passed for residents. Legislators even nixed the NR fee increase that was in a separate Bill that just covered NRs. What I'm saying is that residents of each state are going to have to be the first to pony up and pay higher fees to bring the disparity down between themselves and NRs or find other ways to help fund their departments. That could be by a small tax from hotel rooms, food establishments, fuel purchases, or maybe even a fee for bird watchers, photographers, bikers, hikers, and what have you that are nonconsumptive users of the same land we are paying to hunt on. It appears that this wolf stamp proposal is the first step in helping to pay for game management other than by strictly hunting and fishing licenes fees. IMHO a big thing that has really doomed the game departments is the fact that way too much politics has now found it's way into how they are run and they are now more of a "people" manager than a "game" manager. When there is this kind of turmoil in the rank and file like there is amongst all the hunters nowadays it leaves us ripe for the antis to strengthen their attack against us. Something needs to happen soon and to think that we will be in control of our own destiny any longer in this day and age IMHO isn't going to happen. Hunting as we know it is going down the drain with a huge decrease in hunting access leading the way and sooner or later only the rich will be hunting just like in many areas of Europe.