Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    HM, there are no points for sheep in Idaho, so like you stated that is probably a good thing for no points.

newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can help with some of the questions. I know this one well!
    After the 2012 season when the F&G was working through the sheep harvest information they identified they did not have the harvest information for the unit 11 draw tag holder. The holder was a nonresident. Once they contacted the individual they said they did not receive a tag nor new they drew the tag. This was just prior to the sheep show in Reno in February. So months after the close of the season. Once the word got out they was thinking of giving this individual a rain check. Some sportsmen got involved and the director’s office originally said they was not going to do it. The individual then proceeded to threaten to file a law suit against the department. Deputy Director Jim Unsworth then made the decision to give him a rain check in 2014 based on providing good customer service. They choose 2014 instead of 2013 for the rain check because the 2013 auction tag had already been sold and adding another tag to 2013 could cause trouble with false advertising of the auction tag. A group of sportsmen organized and had very good input to the commission through emails and phone calls trying to stop this. The biggest argument against the rain check was in two different locations in bold letters it stated it was the hunter’s responsibility to verify their draw results. Problem was there was a short window to make the next commission meeting in Coeur d’Alene so the numbers of sportsmen was probably not as good as should have been. At the commission meeting a couple individuals traveled to the commission meeting from Southeast Idaho and this is where more sportsmen numbers was really needed. The commission voted a split 3 and 3 and it had to pass by majority. Unfortunately the Magic Valley Region commissioner seat was not filled at the time to offset the split, which lily would went in favor of having it reconsidered the way the voting went. The Southeast region commissioner, Upper Snake region commissioner, and Salmon commissioners all voted in favor to have it reconsidered. The Panhandle region commissioner, Clearwater region commissioner and the Southwest region commissioner all voted against having it reconsidered.
    Pretty sad how you could not take the responsibility or to care to check if you drew the state’s best Bighorn sheep tag. Really odd you would not miss the $2,100.00 especially when you own and operate a collections agency that is doing well enough you can acquire some really nice state trophy tags for elk and sheep. Yes this individual gamed the system and with no responsibility of their own, will be hunting in Idaho’s best bighorn sheep unit this year with a tag in his pocket.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 180ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They probably have is tag to a 9 year old

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitis View Post
    They probably have is tag to a 9 year old
    Do you really think a 9 year old caused you not to draw your unit 54 deer tag?
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey lighten up just making a joke

But yes it's very possible that the 2500 applicants who should have been disqualified affected our draw odds.

Sorry not trying to hijack this thread

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nitis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    haha mm is just messin.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The unit 11 Bighorn Sheep draw tag holder from 2012 that was granted a rain check for 2014 for his irresponsibility to verify his draw results has taken his irresponsibility into the hunt. He has shot and killed two big rams on his hunt. Unit 11 which has been one of the state’s best units for producing trophy big horn rams was faced with a large fire this year and now has an additional ram harvested that was not planned for. The herd in unit 11 is not large and factors like this will take this unit down for potential hunters in years to come. IF&G is investigating this but it appears where he did turn himself in they are going to slap his hands with a warning ticket and will allow him to take his pick of the two rams and confiscate the other ram. It appears the outfitter that was assisting on the hunt will walk away with not even a hand slap. A sheep hunter did this same thing in Washington and he paid the price for it. Got to question who is regulating Idaho because it is not the IF&G.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Do you have a link to the story? How the hell did that happen?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The information I been able to gather so far on how it happened all though very similar I cannot post it as fact. It is fact that two rams was killed and IF&G has one ram in possession and the hunter has the other in possession and a warning ticket will be the citation given. Barker Trophy Hunts would be the outfitter. Eric Barker has an article on it in the Lewiston Tribune.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    If the IF&G is allowing him to keep one of the rams, I assume there's much more to this story than has been released? I'd think the IF&G wouldn't take to kindly to poaching a ram.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.