Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

What Cuts do you choose when Processing Your Wild Game?

My Cut order on a deer or elk is usually:

Tenderloins- Whole
    Loin- 8 inch boneless roasts
    Hams- Boneless Round Steaks
    Shoulders- Ground or Stew meat
    Rib or neck meat- Ground

Pigs
    Smoked bone in hams
    Boneless Loins
    Boneless Tenderloin
    Ribs
    Picnic roast-2
    Boston Butt Roast-2
    Trim For Breakfast Sausage.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Cow elk/moose- I make steaks out of all possible cuts.- burger the remainder.

Bull elk/moose- Steaks out of back straps, tenderloins, and rounds- burger the remainder.

Deer- back straps and tenderloins go into steak all else is burger/sausage for spaghetti, tacos, and other combined dishes. I do use pure burger to make jerky throughout the year in small batches.

Antelope- backstraps and tenders go into steak and all else is made into Italian or breakfast sausage.

Goose- 100% jerky or brats.

Duck- depends on species. Teal are cooked as duck meals. Large ducks are made into jerky.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I work up my own when possible.
    I even take supplies out of state and process if possible during down time.
    The Holiday Inn didn't appreciate my strong desire for custom butchering so I have scaled that back a bit.

Much like Hilltop, when I pay for processing I ask for steaks and choice roasts for everything possible.

When I'm working up an elk I steak most everything in the first half and for some reason I end up with a lot more roasts and grind in the second
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    The Holiday Inn didn't appreciate my strong desire for custom butchering so I have scaled that back a bit.
    That's pretty funny. I wonder what your room would look like if the police came in to your hotel room with luminol during hunting season. They probably get all kinds of weirdos, so a full assortment of butchering supplies would raise some eyebrows.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    They don't approve?? I've been strongly considering breaking down an animal into cuts that fit into vacuum seal bags, and vacuum sealing if I kill out early. I guess I could do it on the truck tailgate, but it'd be way more fun to do it in the hotel room!

To answer the original question, I save the front shoulders for jerky, and make as much of the rest into steaks, all the scraps are turned into burger, or more jerky.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Make all the back straps into steaks, most of the large muscles in the hind end into steaks. Tenderloins whole, grind up the rest. I will never pay to have it processed, had one too many bad experiences.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Ya'll are killing me. SHANKS!!!! The BEST cut, properly prepared of course, on any deer species. Bear too for that matter.

Flank steak from an elk is a close second for overlooked cuts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Cow elk/moose- I make steaks out of all possible cuts.- burger the remainder.

Bull elk/moose- Steaks out of back straps, tenderloins, and rounds- burger the remainder.

Deer- back straps and tenderloins go into steak all else is burger/sausage for spaghetti, tacos, and other combined dishes. I do use pure burger to make jerky throughout the year in small batches.

Antelope- backstraps and tenders go into steak and all else is made into Italian or breakfast sausage.

Goose- 100% jerky or brats.

Duck- depends on species. Teal are cooked as duck meals. Large ducks are made into jerky.
    Hilltop, don't be telling me you make mallards into jerky, like sticking a knife in my heart. Roasted mallard is one of my favorite meals.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    Hilltop, don't be telling me you make mallards into jerky, like sticking a knife in my heart. Roasted mallard is one of my favorite meals.
    LOL... sorry man. I roasted the first thousand I harvested and finally got tired of it. I occasionally will stick one in a crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom but they honestly make amazing jerky.

I save the roasting for all the pheasants, quail, and wild turkey I shoot. Guess I like white meat in the oven...