Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA [the real northern CA]
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvidrine View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

    Were you successful either of the times you hunted?
    Yes, a 300 class 6 X 6 in 2001 [rifle] and a 5 X 6 in 2011 [bow].

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern NM
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You mention late September....are you hunting the Muzz hunt the first week of October? Don't know of any unit 45 public land hunts with rifle or muzz in September. September is the bow season in 45. My experience is by early Oct they can be in the dark timber. Some years I've heard them bugle and other years not so much. Be ready to cover some ground until you find a group and or good sign. In the wilderness sections of unit 45, there are no ATV's allowed. Shoe leather express or by horse.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I drew a archery tag for deer in 45 this year. Never been hunting in 45. I have a question also. For guys that have hunted the unit. Would you hike into the wilderness area and camp 3 to 4 days Or would you camp at your vehicle and day hike in and hunt different spots. I have all the backcountry camping equipment, but If its reasobably possible i would love to drive around to different areas and hike in early and come out late just too see more of the unit. Maybe a dumb question but did not know if the National Forest outside the wilderness area held good deer populations are not.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcowboy View Post
    You mention late September....are you hunting the Muzz hunt the first week of October? Don't know of any unit 45 public land hunts with rifle or muzz in September. September is the bow season in 45. My experience is by early Oct they can be in the dark timber. Some years I've heard them bugle and other years not so much. Be ready to cover some ground until you find a group and or good sign. In the wilderness sections of unit 45, there are no ATV's allowed. Shoe leather express or by horse.
    Well here is the deal, I don't have a tag per say. My good friend and his cousin got drawn and I just found out today that they got
    rifle tags. I'm going for the experience and to learn how to elk hunt so I can put my name in next year. Im just going to learn and help pack out some meat. Im from south Louisiana so Im gonna bring fresh shrimp from the boat to trade for some elk meat.

    When is the rifle season for unit 45?

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Haworth Oklahoma
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oct 11-15 and oct 18-22

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked 296 Times in 210 Posts
    Congratulations
    122
    Congratulated 86 Times in 10 Posts
    I guided in the Chama area for a year... If those elk are anything like the Chama area elk, they are vocal much later than in northern states. We actually had elk bugling in December. In September we had poor luck calling elk in but in early and mid-October they came in pretty good to a cow call...this has been several years ago so elk education and hunter trends may have an impact on what they do now. September was strictly water hole/stand hunts or spot and stalk for us. Compared to hunting Wyoming it was hot...and dry for the most part.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Haworth Oklahoma
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes hilltop in my experience they are a few weeks later than northern elk.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Oct 11-15 and oct 18-22
    Thanks Swamp

    So what is it like going hunting without a tag? I understand I will be helping with the glassing, obviously. Do you normally hang back when they are making a stalk or what? I'm just interested in how it's going to go down. I have spot and stalked whitetail one time and that was last year in the hill country of Texas.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Haworth Oklahoma
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Glassing and packing hopefully! You may set up on feeding locations and hunt them like you would whitetails that time of year with a rifle. If you can find hidden meadows near dark timber they should be feeding there in the late eve and early morn.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvidrine View Post
    Thanks Swamp

    So what is it like going hunting without a tag? I understand I will be helping with the glassing, obviously. Do you normally hang back when they are making a stalk or what? I'm just interested in how it's going to go down. I have spot and stalked whitetail one time and that was last year in the hill country of Texas.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Glassing and packing hopefully! You may set up on feeding locations and hunt them like you would whitetails that time of year with a rifle. If you can find hidden meadows near dark timber they should be feeding there in the late eve and early morn.


    When we're talking about NC NM, do the elk prefer to feed in the open parks or do they also feed in the dark timber?

    I am looking a lot at Google Earth and I see some stands of aspen/non-conifers. Do the elk like those areas and if so why?

    As you can see I know very little about elk habits and preferences. haha Just tryin to learn.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •