Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What to expect in NorthCentral NM

I'm headed to Chimayo, NM in late September to hunt elk for the first time with my good friend from there. I am not here to ask where to hunt, as we are going with his father-in-law who has tons of experience.

I have a few questions about what to expect..

What is the elk population like in the area? Should I expect to see elk everyday?

During late September are the elk call shy or are they starting to heat up for the rut?

What should I expect the weather conditions to be like?

If there is any other helpful info or advice you can provide, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 2 Posts
    I can't say I have a lot of information for you, but we are heading to NW NM the first of September to chase elk with a bow, so it is a little different area. I know in the area we are going they are call shy and rarely bugle, but the closer you get to the reservations where there is less hunting pressure, the bugles and calls start to work more. For your area, I'm not sure what it will be. Weather conditions will typically be hot and dry, but in September there can be some cool nights and some afternoon rains that come into the area. If you are hunting national forest, I wouldn't expect them to be as call shy, but again I haven't been to the specific area.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I cant tell you any specific on hunting the sept rut but I have hunted the area several times in oct with rifle. There are a lot of elk in the area. It may take a little while to find them but once you do you should expect to see them everyday. If you are hunting public land there will probably be a lot of vehicle and atv traffic. The weather could be anything from summertime thunderstorms to snow in late sept. The weather should however be nice with 70,s in the day and 30,s at nite. LOTS of elk in nc new mexico! GET A BEAR TAG! One other thing unit 45 has some of the most brutal country and highest elevations in nm so conditioning will be key. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by jvidrine View Post
    I'm headed to Chimayo, NM in late September to hunt elk for the first time with my good friend from there. I am not here to ask where to hunt, as we are going with his father-in-law who has tons of experience.

I have a few questions about what to expect..

What is the elk population like in the area? Should I expect to see elk everyday?

During late September are the elk call shy or are they starting to heat up for the rut?

What should I expect the weather conditions to be like?

If there is any other helpful info or advice you can provide, much appreciated.
    Last edited by swampokie; 07-02-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    I cant tell you any specific on hunting the sept rut but I have hunted the area several times in oct with rifle. There are a lot of elk in the area. It may take a little while to find them but once you do you should expect to see them everyday. If you are hunting public land there will probably be a lot of vehicle and atv traffic. The weather could be anything from summertime thunderstorms to snow in late sept. The weather should however be nice with 70,s in the day and 30,s at nite. LOTS of elk in nc new mexico! GET A BEAR TAG! One other thing unit 45 has some of the most brutal country and highest elevations in nm so conditioning will be key. Good luck

Man that is exactly what I was looking for. I am surprised that any one replied to my thread. Much appreciated! I definitely understand that you can't give specifics and I am not going to ask people for that because I know people work hard to find out that info.

I was looking on Google Earth and I see there is a lot of cedar in the area. Then, towards the northeast when you start getting to the Santa Fe National Forest you get into pine forests. I didn't see many parks in and around the dark timber. I may have not looked hard enough.

I'm interesting to hear what the most used strategy is for locating the elk in the area. Do you find a high point and glass until you find the elk or after scouting do you already know the general area of the elk and get into the dark timber and start calling. Would you think the elk tend to stay at the higher elevation in the early fall or could they be anywhere? Again, not asking for specifics just general common knowledge of the area.

What would you consider a trophy for that unit?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The elk in the santa fe will be mostly high and in the dark timber at that time. This wont be as much of a glassing hunt as some other areas. You will need to read the fresh sign and use your ears. There are a lot of elk but you will work to find a 6pt most likely. 285 would be big for the unit. Not to say that there aren't some bruisers killed there that top the 300 mark. Did I mention lotsa bears?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You did mention bears! hahaha

Are we talking just black bears and how big are we talking about here?

I'm gonna look up bear tags for nonresidents right now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have not hunted that exact area of N.M. for elk, but have elk hunted near Chama twice, last week of Sept each time. Very good population and definitely not call shy. Fun and exciting time to hunt. Those hunters during mid Sept. seemed to have had a less responsive experience. I had good weather both times, no rain or snow, however, always possible. Buggle to locate, cow call and rake to bring them in. Stand water holes/tanks if warm. Hunt as hard as you can. Best of luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lappel65 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the tips!

Were you successful either of the times you hunted?
    Last edited by jvidrine; 07-06-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes black bears. They don't get quite as big as eastern bears as a general rule but there is the occasional exception. 290 dollars over the counter for nr I believe. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvidrine View Post
    You did mention bears! hahaha

Are we talking just black bears and how big are we talking about here?

I'm gonna look up bear tags for nonresidents right now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Yes black bears. They don't get quite as big as eastern bears as a general rule but there is the occasional exception. 290 dollars over the counter for nr I believe. Good luck!

Yeah I'm gonna have to get a bear tag for sure. I'll only have 4 days to hunt because of my work schedule but I guess it's good to have it in the pocket.