Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Size Optics for Backcountry?

With a lot of purchases to make between now and October, i am starting with binoculars. So, i am looking for input on the optimum size...what ya'll think is the best for you and why. I am speaking of a pair of binos that you would wear on your harness, not large, truck window optics....One pair is for my wife and she will need to go as light as possible so consider what smallest and largest size you would choose to tote..

Thanks in advance.
    Bryan

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use a set of Swarovsky rangefinder/monocular combination. It is 8x and very clear & sharp. The rangefinder is usable to around 1000yds. I really like being able to carry one set of glasses. Works for me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I much prefer binoculars to a monocular for glassing, due to the ease of viewing over long periods. Like many hunters, my favorite combination is 10X42, as this affords a relatively large 4.2mm exit pupil, and a high level of detail resolution. I also like the little extra magnification over 8x when I have them tripod mounted. However, when glassing from horseback or hand-held, I like 8x, because it is easier to get an apparently steady image.

The compact, 32mm styles are nice and light, but sometimes a little heft helps steady them down after a high country climb, and you lose a little low-light ability with their smaller exit pupils. the 50mm and up bins are just a bit too bulky for my tastes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. A lot of little things to consider.... When i backpack, or duck hunt all over the U.S., i dont have to figure all of this out. I lean towards lighter....Going from 800' above sea level to 9000' above sea level in a few days time takes it's toll on my lungs. Maybe 8X zen-ray...

Plenty of time to figure it all out though. Need to make a trip ot BPS, since Cabelas has not graced the South with a store yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    10x42 is to binoculars as .30-06 is to rifles.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    These guys are right on! 10x42's can't be beat for versatility.

On my Wyoming sheep hunt, I solo backpacked in and was shaving weight. I picked up a pair of Swarovski 8x30s on eBay. With Swarovski's warranty, you can hardly go wrong on a used pair. I was very happy with these, and had a spotting scope when I needed to size up a ram. These smaller binoculars have also been nice when hunting the timber where a little lower magnification helps.

If you want to scale down from the 10X42s, I believe the quality of binoculars is a big factor. You can get away with a smaller binocular when buying premium binoculars due to the improved sharpness and light transmission.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    An 8X42 does offer a little better exit pupil (5.25mm vs. 4.2mm for the 10X42), so should be a little brighter in really low light when comparing binoculars of similar quality. This is also something to think about, depending on your hunting conditions. An 8X32 binocular has a similar exit pupil to a 10X42 (4mm vs. 4.2mm).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is a tough question. What will your primary uses for these binos be? Will you be looking across the country to find some animals for a spot and stalk or will you be still hunting the timber and using them to differentiate colors as you attempt to spot small pieces of critters?

With that said I am with the others on this. For versatility the 10x42 are by far the best option.
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Hunt hard and live with no regrets!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    10x42 is to binoculars as .30-06 is to rifles.
    I guess that's why I'm a .270 Winchester kind of guy I prefer the 10x32, with good glass it makes up for the low light situations for the most part.
    Nick

Thanks
    Congratulations
    10x42.....