Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just got to Oregon

Ok guys just drove 14 hrs straight through to get to Scio Oregon. The owner of my company has a blueberry farm up here, and let my family come stay for a week. What fun things are there to do? We are headed to the coast today and the sea lion caves. I would like to go to the bow rack I think it's in Eugene. It is very beautiful here. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 7 Posts
    Salmon trip on the coast. The ocean and lower river salmon fishing is ramping up right now on several coastal rivers. Here is a link to the ocean forecast:

http://www.stormsurf.com/locals/pacnws.shtml

I have heard a few of the ports on the coast are getting into albacore tuna already. A crazy hard fighting fish. Only do this if you don't have motion sickness issues.

Crab for dungeness crab off the dock in a bay (not nearly as good as off a boat though). There are usually places to rent crab rings in the port towns.

Book a sturgeon fishing trip out of Astoria. I think it may be catch and release only this year, but they catch a pile of fish out of there this time of the year.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 07-06-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bow Rack in Springfield would be fun. The Gun Works muzzleloader shop is not very far from the Bow Rack. There is a small Cabelas there in Springfield as well.

Buy inner tubes at a Les Schwab in the area and float one of the rivers.

On the 11th thru the 13th there are some amazing minus tides for clamming (the 10th is not too bad either but very early). Check into clamming for Razor clams on the ocean beaches just south of the Columbia River. I've always wanted to do that. Not sure if season is open. There should be some bay clamming in some of the bays as well. We mainly hang out in the southern part of the state so I'm not too up to speed on the northern coast. Oregon Jim likely knows about them though.

For bay clams I would go for gapers and cockles.

Here is a guide for crabbing and clamming in the bay at Newport:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/shell...ps/yaquina.asp

There are links to other bays on there.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 07-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are driving home, book a catfish guide at Brownlee reservoir (Snake River) for catfish. Should really be turning on now. You will drive right near there. I believe there are guides working out of Richland OR, and possibly Huntington OR.

Walleye fishing near Rufus on the Columbia river.

Jefferson Baptist is a super healthy thriving church out in the middle of now where (9 miles away in Jefferson Oregon).
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 07-06-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm continuing to edit my posts, so go back and read through them

Thanks
    Congratulations
    At Sea Lion Caves you are in Florence Oregon. The Waterfront Depot Restaurant is very good in Florence. I'd recommend the crab cakes, crab crusted halibut and the mussels. There is a crazy good ice cream shop there in Florence called BJs 48 flavors. I believe their ice cream is home made.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Salmon trip on the coast. The ocean and lower river salmon fishing is ramping up right now on several coastal rivers. Here is a link to the ocean forecast:

http://www.stormsurf.com/locals/pacnws.shtml

I have heard a few of the ports on the coast are getting into albacore tuna already. A crazy hard fighting fish. Only do this if you don't have motion sickness issues.
    If you get a chance to fish Albacore DO IT! They are tough fighters and superb eating. Great on the BBQ, smoked or canned. Called "Chicken of the Sea" because of their white meat.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 5 Posts
    I grew up near there, still have a lot of friends and family in that neck of the woods. Matter of fact one of my cousin's live in Scio. You may want to check out Silver Fall State park, it's about 45 minutes north of Scio. It's a nice place to take the family for a short hike around the falls. There are some good swimming holes up the Little North Fork of the Santiam, about 30-45 minutes east of Scio past the town of Lyons. If you going to be there next Saturday night and like stock car racing there's a good dirt track in Lebanon about 30 minutes south. There a very popular tourist town about an hour and 45 minutes east called Sisters, it's just over the Cascades from there. You will drive past Detroit Lake and see the mountains around there (my old Blacktail deer hunting stomping grounds). On the way to Sisters you could also take a short drive to Camp Sherman, it's a nice place to visit, very popular fly fishing area. You could go see the head of the Metolius river, it just comes right out of the ground, it's not far from Camp Sherman.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 07-06-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hey thanks for the ideas guys, are at the aquarium in Florence right now watching them feed the otters. Keep the ideas coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts
    If you get time come up the Gorge to Hood River, then south to Lost Lake(about 25 miles). Fishing for trout is pretty good right now! It's a really cool place right up next to Mt. Hood. You can take LoLo Pass back over through Zig Zag and hit 205 Sth. to I-5 Sth. and go back that way so you won't have to back track except for the Valley. You'll see a lot of nice country and depending on what activities you like have a lot to do!