Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Keeping your better half happy

Anyone have "best practices" to share for keeping your non-hunting spouse happy while you run away for 10 days to chase dreams?

Gifts? Joint trips to non-hunting destinations? What's worked and what hasn't?

Going on 4 years and so far I've learned: Happy wife, happy life.
    DK

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Been married 38 years. My wife helps me pack!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Drysdale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mine likes to feel that she's getting greater than 50pct of my vacation time spent with her. I think that would hold true if I had one week of vacation or ten, she just wants to "win" over hunting (which is fair).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Treeshark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    going on 12 years, got married on october 12th...... right in the middle of hunting season. told her if we get married on that date then ill never be home on aniv and she agreed to celibrate it before or after. as of 2 years ago she started tagging along, this will be her first year actualy hunting. sothats exciting. shes not up for that multi day stuff though so to keep her happy every year i get her tickets to go see her sis in nebraska for a couple weeks every summer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with Treeshark, as long as I give her half of my vacation time and plan other trips with her during the summer and Holidays I am good to go. I don't think they ever totally understand but they tolerate it. I also talked my wife into trying deer hunting close to home last year and she shot a 140" mulie. She won't do overnight backpacking hunts but is excited to do day trips to fill her buck and bull tag now.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to In God We Trust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    The shared vacation days (part for hunting/fishing & part family vacs) has gotten me thru 50 years of marriage. My wife came from an outdoors/camping, fishing & hunting family so the deck was stacked a little in my favor. It has been much easier the last 14 years since I retired. I do my hunting and then take my wife wherever she wants to go in the winter when we spend time out of the Colorado cold. I've been on several guided hunts and have several more planned. I have taken her to Belize, a cruise to Hawaii, Costa Rica and have a trip to Australia planned. Yes it takes some bucks to do this, but we worked 40 years so we could. Life is short, so enjoy it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Married 25 years this year. She knows that my OCD controls my life. Hunting has become my number one passion. We are empty nesters this year. I work too much. If it were up to me, I would be somewhere in the woods by myself every weekend. She says she is going to join Eastman's and Rokslide forum so we can talk a little more. I obviously need to improve on the "happy wife" plan.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Drysdale View Post
    Been married 38 years. My wife helps me pack!

HAHAHAHA!!! Love it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    The shared vacation days (part for hunting/fishing & part family vacs) has gotten me thru 50 years of marriage. My wife came from an outdoors/camping, fishing & hunting family so the deck was stacked a little in my favor. It has been much easier the last 14 years since I retired. I do my hunting and then take my wife wherever she wants to go in the winter when we spend time out of the Colorado cold. I've been on several guided hunts and have several more planned. I have taken her to Belize, a cruise to Hawaii, Costa Rica and have a trip to Australia planned. Yes it takes some bucks to do this, but we worked 40 years so we could. Life is short, so enjoy it.
    You sir are the "man". A great career supporting us the way you did, and now you get to enjoy yourself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    CC, thanks for the note. What was your career?