Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pronghorn Unit 20 - 25

My name is Johann Riedl from Austria. I am doing with my family in October a trip to Wyming / Casper and have the opportunity to arrive 4-5 days earlier or later to fly back. These days I want to use for hunting Pronghorn. I have seen in the units 20 to 25, there are still many leftover licenses.

My question: Who knows these units and is then in principle possible to hunt on public land? If so, can someone give me tips for it? Are there farmers who allow hunting with fee? If so, please name and mailing adress (my english is very bad and calls is a problem)

Responses also like via PM.

Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings from Austria, Johann

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Welcome to the forum Johann! I have never hunted in those areas that you mentioned but have looked at them on the land owner status maps quite a lot. There isn't a whole lot of public land that's huntable for antelope in those areas. What public land is available or accessible is in small patches. I hope someone on here will chime in with some better help, or PM you with better info. My advice in your situation would be to try and find an outfitter that would take you out hunting on privately owned land. Best of luck and enjoy your trip!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    My name is Johann Riedl from Austria. I am doing with my family in October a trip to Wyming / Casper and have the opportunity to arrive 4-5 days earlier or later to fly back. These days I want to use for hunting Pronghorn. I have seen in the units 20 to 25, there are still many leftover licenses.

My question: Who knows these units and is then in principle possible to hunt on public land? If so, can someone give me tips for it? Are there farmers who allow hunting with fee? If so, please name and mailing adress (my english is very bad and calls is a problem)

Responses also like via PM.

Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings from Austria, Johann
    Johann, try calling the Casper G&F office and ask to speak to a warden or biologist. @ 1-(307)473-3400. Sorry I can't be of more help, don't know about #20, but #25 has leftovers for a reason...poor access. Lots of private land leased by outfitters. After opening day, most antelope will be found on private. Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    Area 21 has some huntable land in the southern portion of the unit according to my GPS chip, but I hear it gets a lot of pressure. I've never been there. Maybe this would be an option?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Those units all have a lot of private land and that is where the antelope "roam", so you might get lucky and call the Game and Fish folk to find a landowner who would let you hunt for a fee.

Do you have access to a 4x4 vehicle? That is very important as the roads are crazy and if any moisture falls you might miss your flight!

If you just want to hunt, then see if any of the tags are either sex and just go and hunt. You will need a map and GPS too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/up...on/Johnson.pdf

I think the information about asking a game warden and getting the chip are very good pieces of advise. Public land is difficult to find, but it is there to use. The link above is for walk-in areas that are public. I would look in Johnson, Converse, and Campbell Counties for those units. It is not always marked very well, so those chips are very handy. Of those units I have probably seen to most numbers of antelope in 20, but I usually go in Unit 23. There is a small walk-in area and some public BLM land. The BLM can be tricky to find, though. Viel Gluck. Hope you find some good information.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you guys for your answers. I have decided for the Unit 21 and bought a leftover licens. I'm gonna get me for this Unit maps and a GPS chip for my smartphone. I think I'm going to rent a 4x4 SUV in Casper

Now my questions: Opening Day is October 15. Is it good to start on day 1 with hunting or should I wait until the first run is over. (How chases the average hunter in WY - by car or around or to make long stalking on foot?)

Maybe someone has already hunted in Unit 21 or has any other info for me. (Also via PM if you do not want to do the hunting secrets puplic)

Thanks for your answers, Hans

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If you can arrange your schedule to hunt after about 10/20 it would be best to let the crowds go home. The southeast part of the unit has the easiest public land access right along the south boundary road and there are 2 or 3 BLM roads off of it going up into the unit. The best and fairest way to hunt antelope is to park and do some walking with binos and a spotting scope if you're looking for a really good buck. The contours of the land allows good spot/stalk techniques and many times antelope will not be visible from a road, but won't be too far from it if they can't be seen from it. If you don't have a range finder, be aware that antelope are a small animal and many times look like they are much further away than they actually are. That causes many guys to shoot over them. If your rifle is zeroed for 200 yards, which IMHO is the way to go for shooting out west, you can pretty much hold somewhere down below the spine a few inches and hit one out quite a ways.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a fundamental question: is it legal to buy 2 leftover Licensen for male Antelope? (I am from Austria!)

Hans

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I have a fundamental question: is it legal to buy 2 leftover Licensen for male Antelope? (I am from Austria!)

Hans
    Yes, you can have two as long as they are available. I hope you find what you're looking for, but even if you don't fill the tag(s) you should have a different experience that what you're probably used to in your country. Have fun and be safe and by all means let us know how things go after the hunt.