Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Antelope 2014

Whats up guys. A couple of us were looking to buy a couple of elk tags when they come out for sale July 10. However we arent to sure whats the best seeing this will be our first time hunting the plentiful state of Wyoming. Were just looking for a little insight if possible i.e. best zones (even though they are picked over and not to much public land) , local ranchers that are willing to let hunters hunt for a cost or anything really that can point us in the right direction.

Thanks guys i appreciate any help
    Eric

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First off, if you're looking at buying elk tags like you're asking information on, why did you make your post "Wyoming Antelope 2014" in the Antelope Forum? You know there is a big difference between the two critters don't you?! Second, it would help to know more than that you're from CA since that's all you put in your first and only other post on the site. Are you aware that the tags that go on sale tomorrow are strictly the full price leftover ones and not the reduced price doe and cow/calf tags that go on sale on 7/17? There are very few tags that have any kind of decent public land access, but rather may be in the wilderness where you can't go without a guide, are in areas where there are wolves and grizzly problems, etc. Have you done any homework at all on the G&F website to narrow things down to a few units where you can ask specific questions? If you would do so, I think you'll get some help, but most members don't want to do all the work for a member and especially for a brand new one who has had no interaction on the site. Good luck and I think you'll need it!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-09-2014 at 08:18 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Your such a scrooge Topgun; just give him your GPS coordinates to your best spots.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buckbull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I couldn't tell if the post was looking for info for elk, or for antelope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    I couldn't tell if the post was looking for info for elk, or for antelope.
    Well he's from CA and that's why I asked if he knew the difference between the two since he's never hunted them before, LOL!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    Your such a scrooge Topgun; just give him your GPS coordinates to your best spots.
    Hard to do that when we don't even know for sure what critter he wants to hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Basically what TG said....but my suggestion would be to get the WY landowner chip for your GPS if you want to hunt any Antelope units that have leftover tags. But really, you needed that months ago to narrow down, or figure out, what public land can be accessed in units that traditionally have leftover tags.

Really, at this point, I would buy a preference point. Buy the GPS chip, and subscribe to Eastman's hunting and bow hunting journals so that you can get the MRS. Then you can really start to research what units you can draw with 1 pref point for next year. Or on the flip side of that....do all of the above, plus keep buying pref points and research what units have some public land you can hunt on leftover tags. All the while banking points for a great unit later down the road. Good luck!!

For Elk....I have no idea. Just bought my first point this year and I'm in for a long wait it looks like. Maybe ask in the Elk forum
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Easy there TG! Im from CA and I know the difference between elk and antelope! HAHA
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dang, I knew there was something different about ya!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I personally would subscribe to EHJ then pull up the MRS.
    Then I would cross reference the MRS data against the published leftover list. (again these are the full priced tags and they are leftovers for a reason).
    I'd look at the units that are NOT difficult public access and see if anything shows up as being a decent area.

My guess is that almost everything left is considered difficult access, wilderness, or has lame success rates.
    This exercise (and it will take some time) may not help you this year but it will help you figure out what units to shoot for in the future.
    It will also spare you some flack right now.

Best bet might be to pay a trespass fee and purchase a land owner tag if you can get one.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post: