Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sat. Phones

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sat. Phones

Looking at buying a sat phone and was wondering who has had experience with them? I was wondering if there are any out there that you could charge with a solar panel that is still small enough to pack on your back?

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy220 View Post
    Looking at buying a sat phone and was wondering who has had experience with them? I was wondering if there are any out there that you could charge with a solar panel that is still small enough to pack on your back?

Thanks,
    newguy220
    If it is strictly for a special hunt, I rented one for a month for my sheep hunt. This is the place I got it from:

http://www.explorersatellite.com/sat...e_services.htm
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm with UH on this one. For just a hunt I'd rent one for a month and not worry about buying. If you're just using it for basic emergency purposes I wouldn't think charging it would be an issue.

UH---What did it cost you for that one month rental if you recall?
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-10-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Someone posted a link to some on here a couple of weeks ago that were $10 per day and $1.99 per minute for a weekly type rental. Seems like they had a monthly price too but I can't recall.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Someone posted a link to some on here a couple of weeks ago that were $10 per day and $1.99 per minute for a weekly type rental. Seems like they had a monthly price too but I can't recall.
    That sounds very reasonable if you don't need to do a lot of minutes talking on one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    That sounds very reasonable if you don't need to do a lot of minutes talking on one!
    I agree, and I think we are going to go ahead and rent one for our WY trip. Just for checking in occasionally, and safety in general.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    I'm with UH on this one. For just a hunt I'd rent one for a month and not worry about buying. If you're just using it for basic emergency purposes I wouldn't think charging it would be an issue.

UH---What did it cost you for that one month rental if you recall?
    I recall it was in the $200 to $250 range for a month, including some prepaid time. I used it to check in each night on my solo Wyoming sheep hunt (avatar). I also wore a SPOT so my wife (finance at the time) could keep an eye on if I was moving, and so I could send out a distress signal if needed. In the grand scheme of things it was a bargain compared to an outfitted hunt. Having redundant safety lines was a good feeling.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 07-10-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I have also rented sat phones for back country hunts. They work good
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It is cheaper to buy one because every year we are some place that doesn't have cell service, so it would be nice to have one. We have borrowed a Globalstar phone before, but couldn't get it to charge using a small two or three panel Goal Zero solar charger. That is why I was wondering if any of the newer sat. phones would be easier to charge this way.

After using a sat. phone and than looking at the limitations of a spot for communication, we are going to stay with a sat. phone.

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    spot phone can only be charged with the charger that comes with it but you can get an extra battery you can only receive a tex. The iriidium is a better phone and better service it has a usb port an can be charged no extra battery an you can send a tex but the cost is alot more than the spot. you get what you pay for but im looking to buy the spot i like the extra battery and
    Trying like hell to live the dream

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dustin ray For This Useful Post: