Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Backcountry pack question: What do you do for a day pack?

Just wondering what guys are using for day packs when you are pacing in on foot with all your gear for multi day spike camps? Are you taking a big pack and a smaller day pack also? My Badlands 4500 has a detachable hip pack which might work ok. Does anyone bring 2 packs in with them?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have always carried one pack and just compress it down for a day pack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I have always carried one pack and just compress it down for a day pack.
    I do the same.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used the blacks creek Jim horn edition for a few seasons. It had a removable small daypack. I thought that was the ticket for a while. After playing and tinkering and a few more hunts I realized compressing one pack for day mode was the most convenient. Carrying the extra weight in is pretty silly IMO. And not having the ability to carry heavier weight comfortably at any given time is a negative. If you knock something down a mile from camp it's a lot nicer to be able to get a load back without having to hike to camp, grab your big bag and then start the process.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just use the same pack compressed down as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the same pack for packing in and for hunting, but with a bit of a twist. This scenario is exactly why we designed the Paradox Evolution pack to use frame extensions.

Pack in with a big pack that is good for hauling weight, then compress it down and lower the frame by taking out the 4" extensions, and now you're hunting with a much smaller pack. It really helps when trying to sneak through brush.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 07-10-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Awesome! Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback and help!

Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing to consider in this situation is having the means to pack out meat on the initial trip out so you don't have to go all the way back to camp or vehicle just to get your frame pack. A really good example would be a Stone Glacier with both the Solo and Approach bags. The Approach is smaller and attaches to the Solo, that way when you get to camp you can remove the Solo from the frame and slap the Approach to it. Bam, you have an awesome small day pack without a big bag that you don't need and most importantly you are still carrying your meat hauling frame with you at all times. Stone Glacier is a little too expensive for me so I got a Kuiu Ultra which is about half the cost with a lot of the same features and will become my wife's pack when I upgrade. There's a lot of other good packs out there you can't go wrong with as well.
    Bull Time

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell M. View Post
    One thing to consider in this situation is having the means to pack out meat on the initial trip out so you don't have to go all the way back to camp or vehicle just to get your frame pack. A really good example would be a Stone Glacier with both the Solo and Approach bags. The Approach is smaller and attaches to the Solo, that way when you get to camp you can remove the Solo from the frame and slap the Approach to it. Bam, you have an awesome small day pack without a big bag that you don't need and most importantly you are still carrying your meat hauling frame with you at all times. Stone Glacier is a little too expensive for me so I got a Kuiu Ultra which is about half the cost with a lot of the same features and will become my wife's pack when I upgrade. There's a lot of other good packs out there you can't go wrong with as well.
    Just some food for thought here. I did a full week out of the Solo last year, with very little in the load shelf.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I load 9-10 days on the Solo with dry bags strapped to the sides and not extending the load shelf. Day hunt mode at about 15# or so, and 110#+ going out that day. I will never leave camp without a meat hauler again.